20. A Ball?

━━•✩.♡.✩•━━

✩•━━

✩.♡.✩

Life is not a storybook, but life unfolds in chaptersTurn the page and start to make amends

Turn the page and start to make amends

– My Once Upon a Time (Dove Cameron)

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

Finally, Lockwood, Lucy, George and I made our way back to Portland Row. Earlier, Lockwood had taken the backpack with the Skull in it off Lucy's back and carried it. Thankfully, it refrained itself from bothering us with more useless comments.

"Is it okay if I dive into Bickerstaff's papers?" George asked, holding the stack I found back in the haunted house.

"Go for it," Lucy replied.

I quickly took a step towards George before he could disappear in his room. "George, wait–"

On the way here, he had carefully avoided my eyes and I failed at every attempt to start a conversation. He still seemed to be processing the whole truth about me and my identity but despite that I did not regret telling him because I owed him that at least.

"Not now, Ev–" he cut himself off. "Celaena."

With that, George headed towards the stairs without even taking off his shoes or putting down his rapier that was still hanging from his side.

Out of nervosity, I connected my hands as I played with my fingers. Meanwhile, Lucy had gone off with the Skull to the attic as well, leaving Lockwood and me in the hallway. I could sense the tense atmosphere between us but I couldn't shake off the memory of him calling my name when I was stuck under the trapdoor. He had shouted "Eve" which was a nickname I didn't think I'd ever hear from his mouth again.

"George will get through it," Lockwood broke the silence, setting down his rapier in the basket.

I turned to look at him. The morning light was still faint and we hadn't turned on the light but it wasn't hard to recognise the shape of his face. "Will he?"