16. Sand Monster

━━•✩.♡.✩•━━

✩•━━

✩.♡.✩

If I could say what I want to sayI'd say I want to blow you awayBe with you every night

I'd say I want to blow you away
Be with you every night

– Things I'll Never Say (Avril Lavigne)

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

A car was driving us to the cemetery where the mysterious grave was set. There was a bubble of anticipation inside me but the fear overtook that feeling.

Although tonight might have looked just like an ordinary rainy evening, I didn't let the first sight fool me because I knew that under this mask was hiding a much bigger and scarier thing. A Type Two ghost for example. An unidentified Type Two ghost.

Raindrops were racing on the window as I glanced outside. As usual, the streets were given some light by the greenish ghost lamps.

"Okay, let's keep our wits about us. We do not want to get jumped by relic men," Lockwood told us, making my gaze land on him

"Who even keeps those arseholes in business? I don't understand," Lucy remarked.

At her words, I unintentionally looked away, biting my lips. The new turn of our conversation made me a little uncomfortable in this little space we had. But they couldn't find out any of my relations to the men they were discussing.

Keep it cool, Celaena.

"There's a lot of rich, twisted bastards out there who want something to scandalise their equally twisted mates," Lockwood answered, anger finding its way into his voice.

"It's so messed up."

I clenched my fist but made sure my hands were out of my friends' sight.

"But not surprising," George joined. "Sources are fascinating and illegal. Put those things together, there's your black market."

Why did they have to keep talking about this? It wasn't like I disagreed with them. I loathed that business with passion. Especially after working with dark sources for the past couple of years myself. But the risk of having a conversation about a topic that was so close to me which was unknown to the rest of them? Too big.