19. What Now?

━━•✩.♡.✩•━━

✩•━━

✩.♡.✩

When I don't feel like I'm worth defendingWhen I'm tired of all my pretendingHold on to me

When I'm tired of all my pretending
Hold on to me

– Hold On To Me (Lauren Daigle)

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

By the time the DEPRAC van arrived, light had begun to get a taste of the dark sky and the loud sirens filled the calm night. It took its place next to another vehicle. And only when Lockwood opened the door to a group of professionals did I stand up from my position. Soon, the body was moved away and the spot was being cleaned. Meanwhile, inspector Barnes got us all to take a seat in the living room where usually we were the ones to ask questions. This time, however, we were the ones being interrogated.

"It's a Mughal dagger. India, sixteenth century. They usually come in pairs, so if we find the other one, we find who killed Carver," George declared as he was inspecting the dagger that they pulled out from Carver's back.

Lucy and I were sitting on the couch opposite to George's while Lockwood was gripping the edge of it. He had already taken off his long coat and the sleeves of his white shirt were pulled up. But as I glanced at the spot next to me, I couldn't help but notice the distance Lucy kept between the two of us. As if she was disgusted by me. I couldn't blame her though. If I were her, I would stay away from myself as much as possible too. Even Lockwood avoided my gaze and ever since he promised to get to the core of this situation, he hadn't talked to me. He didn't utter a word when he was sitting beside me on the floor. He was just there. And even though I was grateful for the company, it didn't make the coldness among us disappear. I might have apologised but wounds and betrayals like this could not be healed in just an hour.

"No," Barnes objected. "You've had your shot. You made yourselves too conspicuous. Bickerstaff's mirror, the bone glass, it's Fittes' business now."

"You can't be serious," Lockwood blurted.