13. Arrested Or Not?

━━•✩.♡.✩•━━

✩•━━

✩.♡.✩

And I was running far awayWould I run off the world someday?

Would I run off the world someday?

– Runaway (AURORA)

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

The blaring sirens and lights of the DEPRAC vans along with the faint daylight swallowed the deep night as chaos erupted. They took Ellie into custody and right when I wanted to sigh in relief that this was now finally over, a couple of uniformed workers approached the four of us as well and grabbed us by our shoulders while pushing us towards the door.

I was too stunned to speak.

"We're agents," George protested loudly. "This is our job."

"We are employed to be here. You've no right to do this," Lockwood joined angrily.

Finally they let go of us but soon we faced another couple of not so pleased DEPRAC workers. One of them was a dark-skinned man who was piercing us with eyes so sharp that if looks could kill, we'd have been already burned alive on spot. The second one was a curvy woman with red curly hair who was also glaring at us as if we were some naughty children causing trouble wherever we went.

"I gave you an order not to work," the man started,

"Yes, sir, you did, and I understand–"

"Shut up!" he cut him off and even I flinched slightly at his raised voice. I looked at Lockwood for support but he seemed just as helpless as the rest of us. "I knew you couldn't follow the rules, for even one night. And you even bring a novice with you! What's your name, girl?"

"Evangeline White," I uttered as I reached for my sleeves for some comfort.

"Sir, Evangeline's my cousin," Lucy piped up in my defence which earned her a look of gratitude from me that despite everything that happened last night she decided to stick to our lie.