12. Rapier VS Rifle

━━•✩.♡.✩•━━

Are we the hunters?
Or are we the prey?

– Game of Survival (Ruelle)

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

At first, the world was quiet. The time seemed to have stopped. No stones were falling around. But it wasn't the peaceful type of silence either. It was the one to swallow you whole and make you lose your knowledge about your whereabouts. The type to make you forget where the ground and the sky were. You were only... clueless.

Helplessly clueless.

My eyes were shut. Eventually, my limbs returned to life as I felt them far too intensively. My head was throbbing with pain until it also reached my eyes, making it an impossible task to go back to the welcoming unconsciousness again. Then, my hearing came alive and beeping filled my head. I could detect some faint voices from afar but the noises were muffling them which caused me to fail at deciphering their meaning.

Suddenly, a big amount of dust entered my lungs as I took a deep breath and I let out a dry cough. I was in a desperate need of fresh cool water.

"Eve..." Finally the first word was recognised by my chaotic brain. A gentle pressure on my shoulder joined it.

At last, I discovered enough strength to slowly open my eyes. The first time came as a shock because I was only met with deep darkness so I closed them again. Then, with my eyes still shut, I used my weak arms to help me sit up. In a moment I felt another pair of hands guiding me until I was safely leaned against a solid wall. With a sigh I let my head carefully rest on it.

"Can you hear me?"

This time it wasn't hard to recognise the voice. "Lock–" I was stopped by a fit of cough. "Lockwood?"

"It's me," his soothing voice confirmed.

I cracked my eyes open and saw the faint outlines of his face along with his messy hair.

"What's all this ringing?" I asked, still disoriented by the explosion. "And my head..."

I automatically held up my hand to touch the painful spot but I instantly regretted that decision because the torture only increased to a hardly bearable level. "Ow."

"You two okay?" I turned my head away from Lockwood and my gaze fell on Lucy who was in a sitting position near us. Behind her, I spotted George who was sitting up.

"Oh, where are their slaps?" he said.

"I certainly deserve one," Lockwood answered tiredly. His hand had already disappeared from my shoulder and a part of me even missed it. "I've been an idiot. I should never have brought us here."