15. Spilled Tea

━━•✩.♡.✩•━━

✩•━━

✩.♡.✩

The city's getting loudIf I choke, it's only 'cause I'm scared to be aloneBeen trying to work it out, you should know

If I choke, it's only 'cause I'm scared to be alone
Been trying to work it out, you should know

– Feels Like (Gracie Abrams)

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

After Lockwood and George left for the case I went to the attic to check on Lucy who seemed to be still sleeping. The exhaustion led me to my own bed too as I buried myself in the covers, falling asleep on the spot.

When I woke up, I was welcomed by an empty room. Lucy's bed looked messy, as if she woke up just minutes ago. I crawled out of my bed and walked down the stairs in search of Lucy who, as I found out, was in the kitchen.

"Hi," I greeted her. "How are you feeling?"

"Fine," she answered. "I guess I really needed that rest."

"Maybe," I said and searched for any evidence of her talking to the Skull in the basement. She really seemed to be tired and her mood wasn't as energetic as usual. Maybe the Skull didn't speak the truth. Maybe it just came up with that to make me doubt. But why would it lie?

"Where are the boys?"

"They went out. For a case with a wraith," I explained but as if on cue, the door opened. However, the sounds of loud arguments reached our ears.

"How could you not realise it was an execution site?" Lockwood's voice rang through the house, probably aimed at George.

"Because you gave me no time to research!"

Lucy and I left the kitchen, going for the front door where the two bickering boys stood, fully dressed in their coats as they were putting their bags down.

"Hey," Lucy greeted them, interrupting their fight.

"Uh, hiya," Lockwood replied. I couldn't help but notice how messy his hair was right now. Either he hadn't fixed it since our training session or he messed it up during the case. Suddenly, his eyes lingered on me and I instantly looked away, trying to find anything that was more interesting than him because the picture of the two of us down in the basement was still burned in the back of my mind, even though nothing happened. "How are you feeling?"