5. Not So Perfect

━━•✩.♡.✩•━━

I gotta have roots before branches
To know who I am
Before who I wanna be

– Roots Before Branches (Room For Two)

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

After we left the basement, we were all very tired and Lockwood promised me that everything would be explained in the morning after a good sleep. Then, I was led to the top floor – the attic. Lucy already had it occupied but there was also a spare bed which I was informed by Lockwood that I could use. When I entered, I noticed that there were some clothes thrown on it but Lucy quickly picked them up and took them away, revealing a clean bed with light sheets. It was quite different from my old bed that had sheets in sand colour – which I had originally chosen. The realisation that I actually missed it hit me hard. And the fact that homesickness was creeping up on me was the last thing I wanted to admit. This new room was the opposite of my old one. Looking around, I noticed that Lucy had already settled in. She had a couple of pictures attached to a mirror by the wall and on the other side there was a vanity table. There were some chairs, decorations but apart from that it was a simple room.

At last, without much talk, we both laid down and fell asleep.

In the morning, I found out that the attic was empty. The bright side was that I felt well-rested despite the fact that I feared my dad would barge in and command me to come home. Fortunately, nothing like that happened. Yet.

I walked down the stairs, following the voices that were coming from the kitchen – if I remembered correctly because Lockwood hadn't given me a proper tour yet. The moment I was about to step into the room, I heard my name being mentioned which made me instantly stop. I didn't want to eavesdrop but my gut was telling me that their conversation wasn't meant for my ears.

"What are you talking about, Lucy?" Lockwood said.

"I was there, Lockwood. When she told you she lost her parents, you wanted to help her."

"Not gonna lie, I'm on Lucy's side this time," George's voice joined the conversation.

"You weren't even there, George."

"Yeah, but I know you well enough."

Lockwood's sighing could be heard even here.

"Look, Lockwood, we're not judging you, okay?" Lucy continued.

"It doesn't feel like it."

"I'm just being rational. What do you even know about her abilities?"

I knew that she was right. Of course she was. They had no idea who I was. And I didn't even want to imagine her reaction if she found out that my skills involving a rapier were very poor as well. On the other hand, my knowledge was something to talk about. If only they knew... I hadn't had the chance to give Lockwood my CV or the papers I got from Mr. Sutherland yet but I was aware that it awaited me if I wanted to remain here.