Chapter 13 Continued Part 5

Wednesday 8 July, 2015

"Come on. We better get going." He said. What was the time? We walked through the front living room to the garage door and on the way there was a clock hanging on the wall. Its hands showed that it was eight-thirty. Holy crap! He unlocked the car and we got in. My book bag was there on the floor. How had I forgotten about it? I unzipped my book bag and unzipped the outside pocket of my travel bag. I dug around my book bag until I found the letters. I transferred them to the black bag. I zipped both back up. When we arrived at school it was in silence. We hadn't talked the whole trip but when Trevor parked the car and turned the key he said, "Are you sure you want me to do this?"
"No. I'm not sure. I don't want you to do it but I need you to."
"Why do you need me to do it?"
"For her."
"But I don't care about her. I care about you."
"If you really do then you'll do this for me." I said then got out of the car. I shut the door.
"Hey. You all right?" someone said. I looked up. Daniel. I nodded to him.
"Do you mind if I put my bag in your car?"
"No of course not." He said. He unlocked the car next to us. Of course his car was the one next to Trevor's. I opened the car door and put the travel bag on the floor.
"Thanks."
"No problem." He said then grabbed my left hand. "What happened? He didn't hurt you did he?" he asked. I shook my head. I think it was the other way around, I thought.
"No I just cut myself accidently."
"On what?"
"I don't know." I said. The bell rung. Saved by the bell, I thought. Trevor walked by us, not stopping or anything.
"What happened?" Daniel asked concerned.
"I asked him to do something for me."
"What?" he asked. I shook my head. I didn't want to repeat it. "Hey. Tell me. You can trust me."
"I asked him to date Sonny." I said, looking him in the eye. His eyebrows rose in surprised.
"Why?"
"Because I couldn't have both of you and she likes him anyway, so." I said and felt tears in my eyes.
"Hey? Hey, it will be alright I promise." He said and pulled me into a hug. I stood there stiffly. "Come on. Let's go to class." He said and led me to the front entrance of the school. As we left the parking lot, I took a quick look at what he was wearing. He wore a navy blue muscle shirt that revealed his muscular biceps, denim shorts that fell just short of his knees and dark blue Vans.
"You have Maths as well right? With Sonny?" I said as we walked up the stairs at the front. He nodded.
"Tell her I'll meet her at the tree a bit later so that... " I said.
"Ok." He said. Our classes were still outside the closed doors of the classrooms. All of a sudden I was being pulled off to the side, away from Daniel. I looked, surprised, at Sonny. She wore a hot pink tank top with black short-shorts and hot pink combat boots. Her hair was up in a high ponytail, man, they really suited her. She took the simplest of clothes and make them look like a million bucks.
"Oh my God you'll never believe what just happened to me! Guess! Guess!" she whispered excitedly, a huge grin on her lips and her eyes big and wide. Realisation hit me like a bus. He did it before class? Oh. I thought he was going to do it after class. I slapped a fake smile on my face.
"What? What's happened?"
"Trevor just asked me out! Oh my God! Oh my God! Oh my God!" she said. My heart sank but I didn't show it.
"Oh my God! When?" I said excitedly.
"Just then. He pulled me out of the line, grabbed my hands, played with fingers and asked me."
"You said yes didn't you?"
"Nah I said no. Of course I said yes! What idiot would say no to him?" she said. A dumb one, I thought.
"Oh the doors are opening! Talk more about it at lunch? Does that mean he's sitting with us at lunch from now on?"
"Is that ok?"
"Of course. Would you mind if Daniel sat with us as well, if he wanted to?" I asked.
"Hell no, I wouldn't mind a bit. I'll ask him now. See you after class!" She said as she walked away to her class. I walked into my classroom with the class. This is going to be awkward. I slipped into my seat. Trevor was looking straight ahead. I'm sorry Trevor, I thought. He didn't respond in any way. Wait, he chose to listen only to my thoughts, could he turn it off so he couldn't listen to anyone's? Of course he could but I had to try. If he wasn't listening to my thoughts then it wasn't hurting anyone, except me. We can't be like this, I thought, we have to get over it otherwise it's going to be awkward. He still didn't respond to me. He can't hear me, I thought. He tuned me out. That hurt more than him dating Sonny. I didn't think much during the lesson, I only thought about the work. We left separately at the end of the lesson, with me walking out of the classroom after him. Sonny was waiting for him outside the door on the left and Daniel was waiting for me on the right.
"You ok?" he asked me.
"I will be." I replied.
"I know beautiful." He said. I smiled at the word. Beautiful. It had a nice ring to it. I looked back over at Sonny and Trevor. They were holding hands and coming this way. Trevor smiled at something Sonny said. I felt Daniel take hold of my fingers and I let him lace our fingers together, like a couple would do. I adjusted the strap of my bag on my shoulder when they stopped next to us.
"Hey. We going to lunch or what?" Sonny asked us. Trevor lost his smile when he looked down at my hand in Daniel's. Daniel looked at me.
"Yeah, let's go." Daniel answered.
"Ok." Sonny said and started walking away with Trevor. He slung his arm around her shoulder. She looked back at me with a 'I-can't-believe-this-is-happening' look. I gave her the thumbs up then pointed to Daniel. I mouthed 'look how hot he is and he's hanging out with us!' She nodded and looked at Trevor then mouthed 'but not as hot as this one!' I raised my left hand and shook it from side to side saying 'eh'. Daniel squeezed my hand. I looked at his amused smiling face. I realised that he had been watching Sonny and I talk to each other and that he knew exactly what we had been saying.
"Thanks for sticking up for me." He whispered in my ear. I nodded. His hand in mine felt weird. I don't know why but it did. I guess it was just because it was the first time someone other than Todd was holding my hand. Sonny and Trevor walked, laughing and talking, in front of us while Daniel and I walked in silence. When we got to the big tree Sonny sat next to Trevor and laid her head on his shoulder, eyes closed. He kissed her on top of her head. Her eyes flew open, she looked at me, smiled and I smiled back before she closed her eyes again.