Chapter 18

'Just admit it, come on we all know it was you." I say. I wouldn't normally speak to a guard but this is within reason. I watch as the guard's face goes from shocked to a smug look across his face. I know what's about to happen, sadly I'm used to it at this point. At least it's me and not Maggie taking the punishment. The guard then take his keys out and opens the prison like doors. As he's reaching for me, a voice comes through his comms.

"I want..... watch........... girl.' Is all I could hear. The guard then grabs Maggie who is next to me, then another comes and grabs me. We are taken to the panic room. The name coming from what most occupants feel while they're in here.  We are both tied down to chairs, wooded, easy to break out off, noted.  I watch as two guards come in with a man in a lab coat. The man in the lab coat rolling in a variety of  different knifes, syringes, and other utensils for torture. And then those words are spoken,

"Вы можете начать."

I jerk awake. Another nightmare. Since I can't go back to sleep after my nightmare's I get up and put on a zip up hoodie, then make my way to the kitchen in the Barton's farmhouse. After a few minutes, I decide to sit in the kitchen, and do background checks on a few agents I've been thinking about 'confronting'.

After maybe 30 minutes of sitting in silence I hear footsteps. I reach for my gun as a figure enters the room. I swiftly point the gun at the figures head.

"Wow, it's only four in the morning and there's already a gun pointed at my head." I hear Romanoff say.

"Romanoff." I greet, "why are you up?" I ask genuinely curious.

"Couldn't sleep." She answers vaguely. I'm assuming that she's up for the same reason I am, given her dark past. "What are you doing up?" She returns my question.

"Came for a glass of water. Got busy." I say closing my laptop. I stand up and get a glass out of the cabinet, then hand it to her so she can fill it with water from the tap since she's closer to it than I am. After a few minutes of silence, she puts the cup in the sink, and turns to me.

"Why do you call everyone by their last names, it's a little formal since you've known us all for a while?" She asks.

"I don't call everyone by their last names, Romanoff." I reply looking at her while I lean against the counter a foot or two from her.

"Almost everyone though." She replies, curiously looking at me, waiting for me to explain further.

"I don't need to get any closer to you guys than I already am. This attachment with Luca and John should have never happened, but I can't imagine them not being in my life. There's very few people I would die for, in fact it's below five, but they're on the top of that list. I'm too close to Clint too." I look at her seriously, showing that I am telling the truth. "Or he's too close with me." I correct myself.

She continues to look at me while she says, "What about Pietro, Kira and Wanda?"

"Pietro and Kira were with me that one time in the Hydra base. And it would be confusing to say 'Maximoff' when there's two Maximoff's." I reply referring to the first time I met Pietro and Kira.

"Why do you call me Romanoff? She asks, finally getting to the question that sparked this conversation.

"That's the name you like to go by, why? Would you prefer if I call you Romanova?" I ask while shifting my body from facing forward to facing her, so I no longer have to turn my head.

"No, I prefer Romanoff." She replies to me.

"Alright Natalie, I'll call you Romanoff," I say while at standing up fully. "Natasha Romanoff." I clarify, then grab my computer and head to the room I'm currently occupying.