sixteen

JAMES HAD NEVER FELT SUCH A SENSE OF URGENCY AND ANGER AT THE SAME TIME BEFORE

JAMES HAD NEVER FELT SUCH A SENSE OF URGENCY AND ANGER AT THE SAME TIME BEFORE. He did not understand how this could happen; one minute he was sitting in his potions class with Sirius, Remus, and Peter, and the next Lily Evans had burst into the room, startled Professor Slughorn and nearly shrieking that McGonagall wanted James to get up to the hospital wing at once. James nearly felt like he was moving in slow motion as he hurried out of the classroom, watching everyone glance up at him in surprise, knowing that this could only mean one thing: something was wrong with Diana.

He didn't even have time to ask what had happened as he ran through the corridors, all he knew was that he had to get there as soon as possible, he didn't want to think that something had happened to Diana or the baby, it was something he couldn't bring himself to think about. James had felt as if he had just recently regained Diana's trust, as if he had only recently proved to her that he would be there for her, for the child, and now he could lose all of that? He had finally began to believe he would be a good father, and he had finally come to hope that one day, they may even be a family. Diana had become the one he thought about first thing in the morning, wondering if she was okay, if she needed anything for herself or the baby, she had been the one for him to realise that Lily Evans wasn't the one for him, that they didn't have that much in common. But now he couldn't even defend her, he didn't know what had occurred, and he knew he should have been there.

Getting up to the hospital wing, James pushed the doors open to see Dumbledore, McGonagall, Marlene McKinnion, Dorcas Meadows and Alice Prewett all stood at the bedside of Diana, who was being examined by Madam Pomfrey.

James walked over to the group, tears forming in his eyes as he looked at Diana, who Madam Pomfrey had put to sleep, wanting to heal from the pain easily.

"What the hell happened?" James asked, looking at everyone, wondering why Lily and her friends were all around Diana. James hadn't seen Diana interact with Marlene, Dorcas or Alice before, he knew she and Lily had done the odd study session together and were friends, but the other he was confused about, Diana didn't have many friends, but all of a sudden she had a group of them around her.

Marlene looked at James, "it's all my fault, Snape had revealed her pregnancy bump, congratulations by the way, I imagine your the father, but he had practically humiliated her in front of everyone, I wasn't just going to let that happen, one thing led to another and I sent him flying backwards, and then Lestrange hit Diana with the same curse that I hit at Snape. She landed on her back and was groaning in pain, I'm so sorry James."

"I'm gonna kill him." James muttered under his breath with gritted teeth. James felt physically sick, the idea that he wasn't there to protect Diana from Snape of all people was something that put a pit in the bottom of his stomach. Marlene felt guilty, but James knew she shouldn't, she and the other girls had been there for Diana when James and the other boys couldn't be, and James knew that if it wasn't for them Diana and the baby may have been worse off then they were now.

"It's not your fault Marlene, you were all there, you helped her, you have no reason to feel guilty." James said, looking thankful to Marlene and the other girls. Marlene just nodded, still feeling guilty inside, but knew that James didn't blame her.

Madam Pomfrey completed her examination of Diana and the baby and turned to James and the other professors.

"She hit the floor with quite the impact which has caused slight damage to the way the baby is sitting in her stomach. She will need to be on best rest for a while, so the baby can find time to move back into a more comfortable position, and won't cause the baby to be harmed or even cause a miscarriage."

The word 'miscarriage' struck a nerve inside James, tears formed in his eyes and a choked sob came out of his mouth.

"I believe with it being Christmas break next week, miss Marlowe shall be able to rest well, and if need be she and Mr Potter may stay at home a while longer, for the sake of your child, Mr Potter." Dumbledore said, doing a slight nod towards James.

James nodded, knowing that Christmas would be a bit more different than he had hoped, he would have to tell both his parents and Diana's mother what had happened but most importantly he would have to somehow find Otto and tell him his sister was in the hospital wing.

"I believe we should leave Miss Marlowe and Mr Potter alone, Miss Marlowe won't want such a crowd when she wakes up." Dumbledore said, as the other professors and Gryffindor girls nodded, turning to leave the hospital wing.

As Lily Evans walked to leave, she put a hand on James' shoulder, trying to comfort him. "She and the baby are strong, they'll be okay, look after them."

"I will," James slightly smiled, knowing Lily was right, they were both strong.

The baby had Marlowe and Potter genes, there was nothing that baby wouldn't be able to do, they would be okay.

"You're going to be okay Di, I'll never let anything happen to you again, you and the baby, I promise." James said, holding Diana's hand.

-
More of a filler chapter! Sorry if it was short! Longer ones on the way xx