twenty-one

"YOU'RE TOTALLY IN LOVE WITH THE GIRL, JUST ADMIT IT"

James rolled his eyes as Sirius smirked, folding his arms. "Fucking merlin, Padfoot, how many times do I have to go through this? I am not in love with Diana." He sighed, knowing that no matter how many times he said it, it would never get through his brains small brain.

Remus coughed, "I can't help but maybe feel that there is a bit of truth in what Sirius is saying."

James crossed his arms and Sirius looked at Remus in disbelief, unsure of how he got Remus to agree with him. "Really Remus? You're agreeing with Sirius? I thought you were better than that."

"Hey!" Sirius protested as Remus just rolled his eyes, "James, you have to face the fact that she is carrying your child, that creates feelings, when two people are having a child, a bond is created, and it's okay to admit to yourself that maybe that bond might turn into something romantic." He stated this while James simply shook his head. He checked the window of the carriage door to make sure no one was looking or listening.

James put his head in his hands, taking off his glasses and rubbing his face. Sighing, he spoke, "I suppose there is a bond there, and yes, I want to protect both Diana and the baby. Do I want to go to any length to make up to her for being an idiot when we initially found out about the baby? Of course, yes. Is she attractive? Yes. Do I picture a future with her? I wish. But, after everything, I don't think she'd ever want me." As James continued talking to himself, he nearly forgot the other three lads were around.

Looking over at the other boys in the carriage, each had either their mouths hanging open or their eyebrows raised. "Was that a love confession or...?" Sirius asked, looking at Remus who just shrugged, shaking his head in disbelief.

"If I'm not mistaken, James, I think you might like her; perhaps you should think about it before having a baby. Talk to her; you never know, she could feel the same way you do. You evidently felt confident enough to have intercourse with her and impregnate her; surely you can get the courage to tell her you like her." Remus told him,

"And what if she rejected me if I did tell her?" James said in a whispered voice, looking down at his feet, almost becoming a shell of his usual self.

James did like Diana, he liked her more than he let himself believe. He had been rejected so many times by Lily that being rejected by someone else who not only he liked, but one who was carrying his child, would feel like heartbreak.

Sirius jumped up, "I knew it! You just admitted it, you do like her, Peter pay up." Sirius said, holding his hand out to his friend, knowing he had won the bet they put on James liking the girl. Remus, however, grabbed Sirius by the arm, pulling him back into his seat, knowing it was the wrong time to celebrate.

"Sirius is right, James; I think you just admitted to yourself that you liked her, and that's fine; you had every right to like her, and she had every right to like you back. Maybe you should just go talk to her, ask her out on a date to Hogsmeade, and attempt to romance her in a different way than you did Lily. Show her who you truly are, James. You've been doing what you can so far, and I don't think you should hide what you're feeling from her.  I think what Diana needs more than anything right now is for you to show her how much you care. We've all seen how you two are together, there's something there James, don't overthink it thinking she won't return your feelings." Remus told James,  looking sympathetic at his friend, who looked conflicted within himself.

Sirius looked at Remus, dumbfounded. "Since when did you become a relationship counselor?" He asked as he looked back to James. "Listen, clearly she likes you, I mean she shagged you, that must mean something, from what I remember, you both weren't drunk enough that you didn't know who each other was, you did it for a reason, and that reason might've been that deep down you both liked each other enough to do it, successfully might I add as I am now becoming an uncle and you're becoming a daddy, so grow some balls and tell your baby mama that you love her and you'll be one loved up happy family." Sirius said in a matter-of-fact tone, as James looked to Remus who just slightly raised his shoulders.

"I can't believe i'm agreeing twice in one day with Sirius, but he's kind of right, though I wouldn't have put it in the same words as he did."

James rolled his eyes, not believing that all of his friends were up against him. "And what do I go up to her and say? 'hi Diana, since you're carrying our baby, why don't we just go out on a date and see if we can fall in love and live happily ever after?'" He asked his friends, who both looked at James.

"Yes," they said in unison.

Sirius got up, pulling James out of his seat and pushing him out of the compartment, shutting the door and locking it, not allowing James to come back in. "Now, go and see Diana and ask her out, you're not allowed back in until you've done it. Got it?" Sirius said to James through the glass.

"But my wand is in there!" James protested, as Sirius just shrugged. "And it'll stay in here until you grow a pair of balls and ask the beautiful girl out, or i'll ask her out for you."

"Merlin no thanks, fine i'll go and do it now, if I get rejected, it's both of your lives on the line." James said, pointing to both Sirius and Remus who just nodded and shooed him away.

James began walking down the compartments, making his way towards the compartment in which Diana was sat with the other girls. As he walked further, he could hear girls giggling and talking, he couldn't help but wonder what it was that Diana was talking about. Was she talking about him? Would they be talking about if she liked him? Was she talking about the baby?

He shouldn't have eavesdropped, he knew that, but he couldn't help it. He stood next to the door, where he wouldn't have been seen, but just enough that he could hear Diana's voice.

"We're just best friends, that are having a baby."

Instantly, James knew he shouldn't have come out to the compartment, he was right, Diana didn't have the same feelings as he had towards her, Sirius and Remus had built his hopes up just to get them knocked back down.

He turned and walked away back to his compartment, if he had stayed another moment, he would've heard the further conversation, but he didn't, he didn't hear the rest of what Diana had said.

"But I wish we were more, but maybe James just doesn't feel the same way."

☆ Please like and comment to support this book! All feedback appreciated ☆ I'm back writing! Let me know what you want to happen as I've hit a writers block haha xx