Chapter Sixteen

Have you seen BOSS UNDERCOVER? It's LIVE on Amazon. Also, if you haven't followed me on Instagram and my Facebook page, GO! GO! You don't want to miss the updates! It will be nice to see you there!

Instagram: J.S.Badham Twitter: J.S.Badham1 Facebook Page: J.S.Badham

*THIS CHAPTER HAS BEEN EDITED AND ALTERED*

Duke pulled up to the curb, a growing smile leaping onto his lips as he spotted Harper waiting patiently outside the entrance of the building. She was excited to get home, throw a blanket around her shoulders and binge watch a couple TV shows, all without guilt, whilst shovelling ice cream in her mouth. But that seemed at a loss as she climbed into the passenger seat of the vehicle and was instantly bombarded with Duke's excitement. 

"Right, hon, you better get your game face on cause we're hitting the clubs tonight," he announced, as he pulled away from the curb and drove onwards. 

Harper frowned. "What? Why? Oh come on, I wanted to watch telly. I thought we were having a movie marathon and eating popcorn and ice-cream. But clubbing? I'll pass."

"You're not worming your way out of this one, Harp. Daniella gave me strict instructions to get your ass into the partying mood. Besides, we're celebrating. Her fashion project got crowned the best this month, so, you're coming out with us," he objected, rolling his eyes playfully. 

"Can't we just celebrate at home? You know? In the comfort of our PJs? We could pop open a bottle of champagne there.  I don't mind popping to the shop to get some," she offered, knowing it was pointless to argue back as there was no way she getting out of this. 

"You know my answer. We're gonna have fun, trust me," Duke encouraged, "Now get your ass into gear. We're gonna get drunk, party and dance the night away!" 

___

After sitting in the kitchen chair for an hour or so as Daniella glammed her up, the three of them were eventually sat in the back of a taxi on their way into town. As much as she wanted to hate wearing heels and a flimsy red dress, Harper couldn't lie that she felt like a million bucks. Everything from the black smoky eye look, red matted lips and her brown hair effortlessly curled made her feel unstoppable. She felt fearless, powerful and couldn't lie she had sneaked a selfie or two in the bathroom to savour the moment. 

"God, I can't wait to get drunk," Daniella said aloud, as she held a compact mirror in front of her and teased her pixie hair to add extra volume.  She had gone a little more glam than Harper, opting for a black crop top and matching short skirt paired with 6 inch silhouettes. 

"Me too," Duke agreed, "I need a good night out." 

Harper was squeezed in the middle between the pair of them, a little too uncomfortably close to Duke. He hadn't made it anymore easier when he next leaned in and inhaled. "Damn, Harper, you smell good. I could almost eat you," he laughed, before tugging her into a quick side embrace.

"Haha, thanks," Harper awkwardly replied, trying her best to not overanalyse the situation but in the short space they had been in the taxi, she could have sworn he had brushed his hand across her left thigh here and there. 

Maybe, she just feeling on edge with the whole James situation? But even so, as the taxi pulled outside onto the busy street, joining the queue of restless taxi drivers attempting to get business, Duke's hand appeared to acquaint itself around her waist. Harper shyly glanced over to him, a little unsure how to react. 

He returned a smile before looking over to Daniella who sat on the curb side of the road. "Right, let's get this show on the road. Out you guys get. We're on a mission to get wasted."