Chapter 35- I still care

Harper picked up the bouquet of flowers ensuring she picked out the card as she approached the waste bin. What a waste she thought but her boss made it quite clear he didn't want them a radius near him.

"Wait." She heard someone call out, just as she about to throw them away. James who she hadn't heard even come out the lifts, held his one hand as he sighed. "You don't have to throw them away. Just make sure I don't see another bunch of flowers on your desk again." Harper considered his answer watching as he couldn't meet her eyes but just nodded to her, so in doing so she placed them back on her desk. "I do apologise, I didn't have any idea." She insisted. James shook his head. "Just don't let me see anything...like that again." He informed, as he raked his hand through his hair. James clenched his fists slightly as he glanced at the flowers then putting behind his true feelings he walked back over to his office leaving Harper alone again.

The rest of the afternoon didn't go as planned, James never once showed his face again and during her lunch hour, there were apparent rumours going around that the big boss showed his face on fourth floor and didn't look exactly happy. This was big news because most of the employees here hardly ever saw him so it meant something whereas Harper had the privilege of seeing him everyday. Well it used to be she thought as she stirred her straw in her drink, now it was like a challenge knowing how close she had gotten to him to try and stay out of his way. There she actually thought after her night out with Elliot, that James had went to prove his feelings, admit he wanted something between them but instead his only answer could be; I don't know. Hearing those words aloud were difficult to hear but what did she expect, that yes, James would come on horseback and prove his worthy love and they'd ride off in sunset. No, the reality was, James her boss would rather jump from one woman to another and Harper, a fool she felt indeed had given in, allowed herself to be a easy target making it more like a game for him. Its like hunting season, he was a hunter and she was the prey and every time he got her, just like how she falls for him every time. Of course the ridiculously good looking men would have to be difficult. Harper rolled her eyes to the ceiling as she glanced outside to the busy city. How simple might it have been if she had never spilt that coffee, or even not kissed in return her boss. Perhaps she would be stress free? And wouldn't have to dare think about the consequences or how her heart feels like it breaks a little further every time. But that's how is it. Then again without James, what might have happened if he wasn't there for her when Duke had attempted to move on her? Harper frowned, tucking her herself in as she held her arms on the table just faintly remembering that made her insecure.

Someone tapped on her shoulder instantly removing her from her thoughts. Harper turned meeting Elliot who was bowing as he held a single rose in his hand. She cocked her eyebrow, then in realisation she thought it must have been Elliot who had given her the flowers this morning. Who else?

"Another one? You're sure are going all out for me!" Harper smiled. Elliot stood up as he shook his head slowly. "What are you talking about love? I've just brought this off the street from someone selling roses today. And I thought you might have liked one." He smiled. Harper parted her lips. "So, you...didn't get me a bouquet of flowers this morning?" She asked. Elliot continued to smile but shook his head. "No...I don't recall doing so." Harper shook her head. "Never mind. Must have been someone else then." She smiled falsely, now fretting on who the hell had got her them. Elliot passed her the rose then sat opposite her.

"Thank you." She smiled as she placed the rose near her on the table. Elliot shook his head. "Not at all. Oh, yeah. Did you hear about today?" He asked as he folded his arms leaning further on the table. Harper shook her head slowly.

"Mr Brewer actually came onto our floor today. I didn't see but apparently he seemed pissed. And we never see him, he usually just gets his..." His chin jerked to Harper. "PA to do his work. Sorry. I know how you hated being put in that position in the first place."