Chapter 98 - 30th May 2015 - Ring Shopping

*Emma's pov*

My whole day was planned out on the way the phone call I was about to make would turn out. Jess was back in some State somewhere doing a handful of concerts and Danny had agreed to take me out shopping if the call went to plan. My hands shook as I searched my phone for my parent's number. I know they had already accepted me into the family, but what if they said no? I took in a deep breath and clicked on the contact and I lifted my iPhone 6 to my ear. "Hello?" My mum's voice spoke through the phone.

"Hi mum, it's Emma," I smiled down the phone. Her voice had reassured me already.

"Ah, Emma, how are you?"

"I'm good thanks," I smiled once more. Hearing my adoptive family's voices made me feel so much better. "Is everything okay where you are?"

"Everything is great up here," I could hear the smile in Rose's voice.

We continued to small talk for a while, just catching up on everything that had happened in mine and Jess' absence, before Rose asked, "What do you want to ask me?"

"Huh?" I asked, feeling slightly confused, completely forgetting why I was calling in the first place.

"I can tell that you want to ask me something. I can hear it in your voice," my heart suddenly started picking up the pace and my hands became sweaty as I remembered what I was going to ask.

"I uh..." I swallowed and took in a deep breath, "I actually wanted to ask dad a question,"

"Really?" Mum exclaimed excitedly. Maybe she knew what I wanted to ask.

"Yeah," I replied quietly.

"I'll get him straight away," I heard lots of rustling and I guessed that was the sound of the phone being passed over to Steve.

"Emma?" He asked.

"Hi dad," I spoke quietly and nervously.

"Rose said that there was something that you wanted to ask me," he cut straight to the chase, no small talk.

"Yeah," I took in a shaky breath, "about that... I really wish that I could do this face-to-face, but I have no idea when we'll see you next and I really want to do this sooner rather than later, if you'll allow me to."

"What is it, Emma?" Steve cut me of after rambling a bit more. I took in one last, deep breath before I spoke again.

"Please may I have the honour of having you daughter's hand in marriage?" I held my breath and all I heard was the background sound in the Cornish's house. "Please sir," I started to go formal as I panicked, "Jess makes me so happy and I'd be nowhere without her. I love her with all of my heart and I promise to look after as her as best as I can. Please Mr. Cornish, I need to make her mine for ever," I begged.

I was dumbfounded at his chuckle. "Of course you can marry Jess! You've made her happier than any man or woman ever has and, let's face it, who am I to deny my daughter's happiness. I also know that Jess makes you happy and she loves you more than anyone. Emma, I already count you as one of my daughters, you know that. So who am I to deny your happiness too?"

"Thank you dad," I sobbed. I just couldn't believe it.

"It honestly not a problem. You two deserve each other and are meant for each other," he explained.

"You really think so?"

"I know so," I could hear the grin in his voice and suspected that it would be matching mine.