5

Chapter Five - West Versus Jackson

Faye West's P.O.V.

"I hate you!" Lilah snaps playfully as she grabs the tennis ball before resuming the game.

"It is what it is!" I shrug with a cheeky smile.

We're at one of the tennis courts playing because Lilah walked in on me stressing about a huge assignment's result that's due today. She forced me outside for some fresh air and a distraction which has helped thankfully. Lilah had joined the tennis club shortly after we met and we've been playing regularly ever since.

"Wait a second." I call out as we finish the game and are about to start another. I pull out my phone to see a text from Noah asking where I am and quickly reply to him.

"Is that your boyfriend Noah?" Lilah teases and my eyes widen in surprise.

"No! Shut up!" I blush with a shake of my head. "We're just dormmates."

"Bet you wish you were more though." She winks while serving.

"He just got out of a relationship Lilah. I doubt he wants to jump headfirst into another one." I roll my eyes as I hit the ball.

"Oh honey, everyone on campus knows about his breakup." She shakes her head before smirking. "You didn't deny it though!"

I shrug only to wince when she squeals loudly. "Okay he's cute and I do like him but nothing's going to happen. He wouldn't want someone like me anyways."

"What do you mean someone like you?!" Lilah frowns before scoring against me. "You're smart, kind, gorgeous and fun to hang out with."

"Thanks Lilah." I shoot her an appreciative smile. "I just feel like we won't fit well that's all."

"Time will tell but I'm calling it! You and Noah are going to end up together."

"Speak of the devil." I nod towards the side where Noah and some of his friends have arrived.

I wave him over but notice Noah's gaze roam over my outfit and slowly down my legs which makes my heart race giddily. I took off my sweater so I'm currently in a sports bra and a tennis skirt. Calming myself down I greet the rest of his friends with a smile as he introduces us.

There's Dakota, Shane and his girlfriend Jess, Cruz and his girlfriend Mia, and lastly Kane. The boys are part of the soccer team too and apparently that's where they all met. Mia and Jess are studying in different universities in Massachusetts, Jess is doing medicine while Mia is studying engineering.

"Wow!" Kane steps towards Lilah with a hand over his heart and a boyish smile. "You're –"

"She's taken." Noah yanks him back by his collar.

"By who? I don't see him." Kane makes a show of looking around.

"He doesn't go here." Lilah smiles as she crosses her arms.

"Even better!" He smirks devilishly before getting whacked on the back of his head by Dakota.

Kane grumbles under his breath and then spots me. His eyes light up as he saunters over. "Hello gorgeous –"

"Fuck no!" Noah grunts before shoving him away from me.

"You're literally killing the mood man!"

Lilah stares at me pointedly but I look away. There's nothing between me and Noah for me to even think about the possibilities. No matter how much I'd like to. I clue back into Jess talking about a new club she's joined. Kane enters our circle again and he smiles widely at me which drops within seconds when Noah drapes his arm across my shoulders.