14

Chapter Fourteen - Game On

I get out of the car and round it to intertwine my hand with Noah's outstretched one before we walk up to the picnic area. The sun has already started its ascent into the sky, painting gorgeous hues across it as it goes. I take some pictures of the sunrise and of us while he takes out the food from the picnic basket he had prepared.

Noah had woken me up early today and surprised me with a picnic date. He drove us out to a scenic overlook while I dozed off again in the car but because of how early we left there was barely any traffic. He's packed sandwiches, fruit, pastries, juice, and I smile appreciatively when he hands me a flask of hot coffee.

"You're so thoughtful." A chuckle escapes me when he pulls out a bouquet of daisies and baby's breath held tightly with a blue ribbon, small enough to fit inside the basket.

To my delight he blushes and avoids my gaze. "I hope you like it."

"I love it, thank you." I lean over and pucker my lips to which he grasps my chin and pecks me softly in response. "Where did you find a basket from? It's quite nice."

"They were selling baskets of mini muffins from that store I like that has every pastry imaginable." He lights up with a grin as we tuck into the food. "Now, we have enough supply to last us like two or three days."

I shake my head in amusement because it would take me a week to finish them compared to Noah. We talk about his return game today now that he's been cleared to play again and I can tell he's excited. I'll be attending too as promised and he's already given me his jersey to wear. He's cute when he rambles on about soccer and seeing him so passionate.

"Your brother's arriving after lunch right?"

"Yeah." I nod before opening my mouth for the strawberry he holds out for me. My brother was finally feeling well again to come and stay with me as we had originally planned. "I'll talk with him at the apartment about Ryan and we'll be at your game later then. I'm so excited!"

"Well at least one of us is. If I need to puke out my nerves beforehand you'll give me some extra time right?" He asks seriously and I shoot him a blank look.

"Don't be nervous." I squeeze his hand with a reassuring smile. "Abel's great and I'm sure you'll like him once you two get to know each other."

"That's if he doesn't tackle me into oblivion first." He mumbles causing me to frown in confusion. "He did it during our last game! Have you seen him?! He's freaking huge!"

"So are you. There's nothing to worry about!"

"Thanks sweetheart." He winks as he flexes the muscles of his arms. "You're right. Hell, I could beat him in a fight for sure, knock him out – uh, I mean yeah we'll probably get along."

I roll my eyes at that before switching the topic as we finish up our food. We leave the picnic basket in the car before walking down to the observation tower for a better view. There's a wide river stretching across the fields with hills and valleys as far as the eye can see. It's all so pretty and we stand there for a while just taking in what nature has to offer.

Eventually we make our way back into the city and I make sure to grab an air mattress for Abel as well as some extra food. It's still quite early in the morning when we return home but I start setting up everything for my brother anyways. I also place some of his favorite treats and snacks on the mattress.

When I turn I catch Noah staring at me with a fond look which I tilt my head at curiously. He shakes his head with a small smile before pulling me in for a hug. I yelp before breaking out into light chuckles when he lifts me up and carries me off to his bedroom.