13

Chapter Thirteen - Ballroom Drama

I finally finish styling my hair when my phone rings and answer Abel's call with excitement only for it to diminish when I catch him in the middle of a coughing fit. I put my phone on speaker as I change into my dress and greet him once he's okay.

"Sorry about that. I caught the fucking cold." He mutters and it's obvious with how his voice has changed.

"I assume you're not coming down then." I frown sadly. Abel was supposed to attend the sports ball today too and then stay with me. "Did you take anything for it?"

"I feel like death so getting out of bed is the last thing on my mind right now." His groan is muffled as he shuffles around. "I took some medicine yeah but it's just going to take a few days to wear off."

"I understand and I was looking forward to seeing you again. I even made a list of where to take you in the city."

"You did that last time Faye." He chuckles which soon turns into a cough.

"Yes but there's so much more to see!"

We chat a little bit more as I try to tie up the back of my dress but it's futile. Giving up, I work on getting my clutch ready with essentials before putting on my heels.

"Get someone to go grab you soup or something. And drink a lot of water too, that always helps." I advise as best as I can.

"Yeah Jay's gone to get me some food. I'll probably take a nap after." He sighs before groaning. "Hey, who's your date?"

"Uh...just this guy I've been seeing." I bite my lip nervously.

"Since when?! Why didn't you tell me earlier?"

"Chill! We've only gone on one date so it's very new." I chuckle as I sort through my jewelry, deciding what to wear. "I was going to introduce him to you today."

"What's his name?"

"Noah." I reply while putting on my earrings.

"Hmm. Does he know you have a brother who will kick –"

"Yes, he knows I have a brother. No, I did not tell him you'll kick his ass because Noah's very sweet so there won't be a need for that." I cut him off with an amused smile.

"He better be." Abel huffs before blowing his nose which makes me grimace. "Ugh! Can you believe I got the cold from a hook-up?"

"Gross Abe! I don't need to know that!" I frown as I put on some rings and a thin bracelet.

He only cackles in response before I hear someone speak to him. "Hey, Jay's back with food so I'll speak to you later. Have fun tonight, tell that Noah kid to keep his hands to himself if he doesn't want to lose them and don't send me pictures otherwise I'll burn with jealousy. Bye."

"Bye you idiot." I laugh before we hang up.

"Faye? Are you ready?" Noah calls from outside my room.

"Yeah. Wait...Noah can you come here?" I call and he steps into my room a few seconds later. "Can you help me tie up the back? I can't do it."

I'm wearing an emerald gown with intricate detailing and it's backless with thin straps crisscrossing that I'm currently struggling with. He sweeps my hair over my shoulder that I styled straight today and I watch through the mirror as he concentrates on doing it right. My breath hitches when he presses a lingering kiss on my upper back once he finishes tying the knot.