6

Chapter Six - Wounded Hearts

Noah Jackson's P.O.V.

It's a Thursday night as I walk into a frat house packed with a suffocating amount of people and music booming so loud it hurts my ears a little. The boys from the soccer team notice me straight away and holler at the top of their lungs causing everyone else around them to turn and smile brightly. Hands clap my shoulders and back in the form of congratulations for the victory today. I accept the shot Kane holds out to me and chuckle when he swiftly replaces it with another.

The night passes like usual; we play a few drinking games such as beer pong, truth or dare, seven minutes in heaven which I happily sit out from. I spot Lilah at some point during the night and she drags me to the dance floor where we bust out the dorkiest moves on purpose as if it's a competition and that causes people to shift away from us.

"Did Faye not come with you?" I ask as we make our way back to the kitchen for more drinks.

"Sadly, no. One of these days I'm going to convince her though." She grins mischievously as she mixes her drink.

"I don't see it happening. Partying isn't her thing."

"Which is completely fine like, I get it, but she can't say no to me forever!" She sings the last part with a cheeky grin but it drops when I shake my head. "You don't believe me? Want to bet on it?"

"Sure." I shrug with a lazy smile.

"Fifty bucks says I'll have her attend a party before her birthday." She proposes with a smug look.

"When's her birthday?"

"April fifth." She answers before wiggling her brows. "So? What do you say?"

"Fine but it has to be before her birthday, the day of won't count."

"Deal." She extends her hand to me and we shake on it. "Now, how about the same bet for your friend Dakota?"

That makes me laugh loudly. "All of us boys have a running bet already. Want in?"

"Obviously!" She smiles albeit drunkenly as she takes a seat on the bar stool.

"Okay so, we want to make him attend at least one party before the semester ends." I explain as I grab a bottle of vodka.

"I bet he'll go to that annual barbecue party the seniors throw. It's more his scene."

I pause before downing another shot. "Fuck! That makes more sense! I've bet that he'll attend the party we're going to throw for Shane next month."

"Guess you'll be owing me some dollars!" She winks before one of her friends enters the kitchen and tells her to come back to the dance floor. "I'm going to go but I'll see you later Noah! Enjoy the rest of your night!"

College students drunk out of their mind fill into the kitchen, crowding it immediately. The double doors remain wide open as they push to grab more drinks. I stay seated and look out onto the dance floor ahead catching a blonde-haired girl dance in time to the beat and throw a wide smile to one of her friends.

Our eyes connect. A clash of green. I look away but not before catching her say something to her friend and begin to walk towards me. Dread creeps up my spine intertwining its hand with anxiety and causing me to clear my throat, shifting on the barstool uncomfortably. From the corner of my eye, I spot her make her way through the dissipating crowd in the kitchen before standing entirely too close for comfort.