19

Chapter Nineteen - Anxiety

It's been a few weeks since the wedding fiasco and New York trip. As soon as we touched down in Massachusetts I could feel eyes on me and Noah pointed out some team members sent from Kane's dad to ensure my safety. He had been alerted that I was almost forced into marrying Ryan and to watch my back while Roman had also reached out to a security team that Marcella worked with and some of them were here too. A man called Navy is my main bodyguard and runs that team while they're here.

We're all gearing up for exams so this week has consisted of numerous late nights studying until my head hurts. I'm hoping I'll be rid of this court case and the charges against Evie before summer break but I already know I'm staying on campus for the holidays as I can't go back to Florida anymore no matter how much Abel insists. I feel like I'll suffocate there.

I've barely seen much of Noah or the rest of my friends because of this. My only focus has been to stay on top of studying and not get overwhelmed with the legal battles I'm going through. The other party, being Oliver Ohlsen and my father, are fighting back hard but it's futile. Despite this we're due to finally get a trial date soon and hopefully they'll be charged mercilessly.

Ryan is still on the run though.

"Here's your mocha." The cashier's voice shakes me out of my thoughts and I look up in time to see her slide a mug of heaven towards me with a sweet smile that I return.

"Thank you." I pick it up and turn only to perk up when I spot Lilah step inside the coffee shop.

Her eyes meet mine and she grins happily while I gesture to her that I'll grab us a table. At her nod I turn and spot one by the window, settling into the chair with a satisfied smile as I wait for her. I'm excited that I came across one of my friends at least but at this point it's draining me. Lately I've been feeling so isolated and unhappy because all my time is being taken up by the mess that is my life.

I shake my head to rid myself of my dampening mood and look up only to freeze when I see Ryan standing there. He stares at me with blue eyes void of emotion, standing perfectly still as students rush around him either to get into the café for a quick coffee fix or to get to class. Panic crawls up my spine and wedges itself like a block in my throat, my breaths coming out strangled as I think about what he'll do to me now that he's found me.

"Faye!" A hand waves in front of my eyes forcing my attention to them. Lilah.

I blink, look back to where Ryan is...or was because now he's gone.

"S-Sorry, I...I thought..." My heart pounds faster as beads of sweat line my brow.

The corners of my eyes start to darken and I can faintly hear myself hyperventilating but a loud bang makes me look up to find Lilah dropping her bag onto the table with a concerned look. She scoots her chair over until it's right beside mine and forces me to drink some water, holding me as I breathe shakily.

"You're okay. I'm here." She whispers with a sniffle, her eyes brimmed with tears that she blinks away rapidly once she pulls away. Lilah cups my face with an encouraging smile as she pulls me out of my anxious mind. "Match my breathing, come on. Breathe in...hold it. Good now breathe out. That's it...now, again."

"Thank you. I-I'm sorry...I thought I saw Ryan." I whisper once I've calmed down but she still holds me comfortingly. "Don't cry, you'll make me cry and I've had enough of that."

"You're doing so well Faye...you're strong. This will be over soon, please remember that." She reassures me and moves her chair back to its original place after assuring herself that I'm fine. "Try to relax. I know it's a ridiculous suggestion but you're going to end up hurt if you don't stop and breathe from time to time. I've barely seen you as it is and the one time I do in who knows how long you're close to an anxiety attack."