Chapter 5

Kinsey peered over her shoulder for what felt like the hundredth time this morning. Damon had scared the absolute daylights out of her yesterday. He also brought up a lot of questions--like how the hell did he find out where she lived?? No one was supposed to know where she was staying. Sabrina swore up and down that she hadn't told anyone, and Kinsey was inclined to believe her. She would never betray her like that.

Instead, her own body had betrayed her. She had meant to be braver in front of him. But he had caught her off guard, and those dark green eyes and that imposing frame had cleared her mind of all rational thought. He extruded masculine power and primal strength.

It was the hottest thing she had ever seen.

There he was, standing before her, quite possibly the second most powerful man in Wensworth, demanding she return his calls. She still didn't know why he wanted her to answer him, but she secretly hoped it was because he found her as attractive as she found him and not because he wanted to her to give him Carissa's number so he could be all big and imposing on her.

She sighed hopelessly. Who was she kidding? He probably wanted her help to stop the very same wedding she helped plan yesterday.

Buck up, Kinsey. There are more things going on than a hot shifter stalking you in your life.

That's right. Kinsey had signed her contract yesterday. She was offically a member of the Bane Corporation. Had her own keycard to prove it.

This morning, she stood in front of the Bane Building with said keycard, a small thrill dancing in her veins. This was it. The beginning of her career.

Excited, she used the card to pass through the security system in the foyer. However, she was only allowed to take two steps passed the gate when a man from behind the security desk called out to her. He rose to his full height--which seemed to be as tall as this building--and blocked her path to the elevator.

"Where do you think you're going?"

"To the seventh floor?" Carissa had told her to find Carlisle on the seventh floor and he would give her an orientation.

His gaze quickly swept over her, assessing, gauging. She didn't appreciate the flat, lifeless look in his dark eyes; they were pitch black, a bottomless pool of smoke covering his iris. She'd never seen eyes like his before. Except for demons on TV.

She swallowed. "I work here."

Snorting, he took her arm and dragged her into a purely white office and stuffed her on a metal chair. He paced the length of the room. "How did you get access to this building?"

Trying not to let this delay ruin her mood, she handed him her keycard. "Carissa gave this to me yesterday when I signed my contract."

He inspected the blank card. It was only a temporary card until Kinsey could get her permanent one. Carissa had explained to her that she would have to get her picture taken during orientation then they would make her a new card with her picture on it.

He growled at her, eyes flashing like a shifter's, except there was no light shining in them. She wondered how that was possible.

"Name?" he demanded curtly.

"Kinsey Ashe."

He narrowed his eyes on her a moment then spun on his heel for the door. She watched him pull out a cellphone before the door slammed shut.

She glanced down at her phone nervously, half expecting Damon to call. This time, she was inclined to pick up, if only so she could scream into the microphone if the security man came back to hurt her. She didn't know what Damon would do if he heard her scream, but she would like to think he was a good enough person to at least send the cops here to help her.