Chapter 33

A howl rented the air.

It sent chills down Kinsey's spine. It was a hunting howl, full of anger and hate. It undoubtedly came from Damon.

He had survived the homunculi and now he was looking for her.

"Damon!!" she cried. He sounded close, but he wasn't close enough to see the elevator door open and Victor's alarmed features.

A moment later, Damon and Dayton rounded the corner. Their bodies were stained with blood and bruises, but they didn't seem to feel them. Her heart went out to them. They had gotten hurt because of her, but they still chose to stay and fight for her.

"Let Kinsey go," Damon commanded, like any powerful Alpha. His tone sent an excited trickle down to her toes.

Victor snorted. "Do you think I would give up my most valuable subject so easily? Echo, deal with them. I'll take her."

Echo grunted then dropped her on the marble floor. Fiery hot pain flared up her side, and she cried out, hand instinctively reaching for the bullet still imbedded in her shoulder.

The next thing happened so fast she could barely keep up.

Damon and Dayton rushed them. Echo moved to stop Damon, but Dayton intercepted, tackling Echo into the wall. Swearing under his breath, Victor hauled Kinsey up to her feet and dragged her back for the elevator. Her shoulder hurt too much for her to fight back. Victor slammed his fist on the control panel, willing the doors to close faster. By the time Damon reached the elevator, the doors had closed and they were moving. His growl echoed in the shaft below them.

Victor sagged against the wall, releasing a long breath. After a moment, he regained his composure and straightened out his suit, as if he was about to step on stage and give a presentation in front of a large audience. The look he set on her was collected, calm, but undeniably bitter. "I'm willing to look passed all of the trouble you've caused today if you behave."

"Go to Hell, Victor."

He lips pressed together in a tight line. He looked at her. Like truly looked at her and saw the woman she was, not an image someone else had painted of her, or a delusional idea of the woman he wanted her to be. "Carissa was right. You aren't ready for this. You've spent too much time with shifters, you've been blinded to the threat on humanity." He nodded, determination falling over his features. "There will be plenty of time to show you the truth. You'll come around."

She couldn't fight the quiver in her bottom lip. He seemed so sure that she wasn't going anywhere, that she feared she might never see Damon again. That this was the end of her life as she knew it. "I'll never change for you, Victor."

His glower was as hard as steel. "Whether or not you change your mind is irrelevant to our experiments. However, it would be beneficial for the both of us if you cooperated."

"You have Serum Four. You don't need me."

He stepped towards her, pressing her against the wall. His breath brushed over her cheeks. She bundled her fists up at her sides, fighting every urge to throw up at his feet. Now more than ever, was the time to be strong. To show no fear. "It's not perfect. With your blood and strong subjects, we can make Serum Five."

The elevator came to a stop. Kinsey hadn't even thought to look which floor they were going to. She wished she had, because it opened up to a helipad. The propellers were already in motion and Carissa was in the back.

She jumped out of the cabin when she saw them. Her hair, even tied back in a ponytail, fluttered about in the wind. She didn't bat an eye in Kinsey's direction. "You said you were leaving her behind." She had to raise her voice to compete with the helicopter engine.