Chapter 26

Many words to describe Kinsey Ashe raced through Kalem's mind. If he had time, he'd curse her name to the Gods and have her answer for the deep pile of shit she had dumped him in. As it was, Kinsey was on her way to the Bane Building and Kalem had to find a way to get her out, fast.

After he called Damon.

Fuck me.

He pulled out his cellphone and reluctantly dialed his Alpha's number.

Voicemail.

It wasn't unusual for Damon not to pick up, especially if he was still in the same mood he was in when he left last night. He could still be running. Unable to answer his phone.

But something felt off. He couldn't pinpoint it. He had always had a sixth sense for this sort of thing; a curse from his old fae blood.

Sabrina stepped out of her room, stretching her arms above her head, in nothing but a little silk slip that barely covered her ass.

Sweet holy Mother of Earth.

She was entirely human, but he swore she could have succubus blood in her line somewhere. She was unbelievable sexy. Every move she made was meant to tease and torment him all at once.

That seductive smile was entirely meant to end him.

"Huh. Looks like shifters get morning wood too."

Oh, hun, this isn't morning wood.

Nope. Focus.

He could dig his claws in her later.

"Get dressed. We're leaving."

Her face fell flat. "Why? Where's Kinsey?" She peered around the small apartment, but she wouldn't find her friend here.

"Off trying to get me killed." He ushered her back into her room and stood guard by the door. She wasn't leaving until she was fully clothed.

Sensing his urgency, she thankfully didn't fight him or even care for modesty. She was out of the slip in one second then fully clothed in the next. "Tell me what's really going on," she demanded, following him out the door.

"Kinsey went to the Bane Building. Damon is going to kill me when he finds out, but I can't get a hold of him right now, so we're going to try to bust her out before he calls me back."

She tripped on the stairs--the elevator wasn't fast enough for him--but he caught her arm and kept a vice grip on her until they reached the bottom. "I thought you were supposed to keep her out of trouble!"

"She left with a Mutant! What was I supposed to do? Fight him in the hallway and hope neither of you get dragged into it?"

Regardless, it was his fault. Kinsey's mind was equivalent to a young shifter going through her first shift. There was too much to process at once and that made her unpredictable and irrational. Not to mention, they didn't understand the process of a Mutant's transition. It was dangerous for her to run around unsupervised.

She's not unsupervised, his wolf unhelpfully reminded him. She's with the scientists at the Corporation.

His wolf had a bad habit of making him feel even worse about already shitty situations.

Sabrina came to an abrupt halt when she saw which car they were heading towards. "You drive a Porsche?"

"Yes," he replied curtly then opened the door for her. They didn't have time for sassy remarks. "Get in."

She made movements to get in then paused beside him. "That's a very sexy car."

She wasn't the first woman to approve of his car, but she was the first to make his wolf purr at her appraisal. However, all he gave her was a firm look. Rolling her eyes, she folded inside, and he slammed the door shut.