Chapter 6

Damon cleaned his knuckles in a nearby stream. After the fact, he realised he might have been too harsh on his packmates. But he had barely been in control when he saw Jared gunning to tear Kinsey's throat out. When he had heard her scream on the phone. He only just managed to stop his wolf from ripping into him in front of her. She must think they were monsters enough without witnessing him punishing his subordinates.

They hurt the female, the wolf snarled. No one hurts our female.

He sighed. It didn't matter how many times he told his wolf they were pursuing Kinsey solely to get information from her, and possibly get leverage over Bane for once.  The beast had been very eager to see her again. Insistent, really.  He was under the impression Damon was finally ready to settle down--and he liked his first pick. A lot.

So, when he saw the dark bruise blooming across her face--and who had done it to her--Damon had a hell of a time reigning the beast in. Jared and Spencer were lucky with the wounds they came away with. It could have been worse.

"We're sorry, boss," Jared mumbled around his broken jaw. Spencer was out cold beside him. "We didn't know you had plans for her."

"I know." Damon heaved a sigh, pulling himself upright and facing his beaten packmates. "Tell everyone in the pack that Kinsey Ashe is off limits. . . no matter what she says about her job."

For a supposed genius, she really wasn't that bright when it came to social cues. He would have thought the trouble she caused the other night at the Howling Moon was enough for her to be wary of who she told where she worked.

Jared barely nodded then inclined his head in submission as Damon shifted then loped over a cluster of ferns for the parking lot. He had to scan the lot from the forest edge to make sure there were no humans before making a break for his truck. He yanked his duffle bag from the bed and climbed into the cab, changing swiftly into jeans and a t-shirt. It was silly for him to rush or even be wary of humans seeing him; after all, he no longer had to hide his other half. He couldn't seem to break out of the habit of sneaking around.

During his drive, his mind raced to find a way to make this right with Kinsey. Getting her to not tell the police was one thing, but for her to want to go on a date with him was an entirely different thing. He didn't blame her if she wanted nothing to do with shifters after her experiences with them. . . . Especially after he had gotten what he wanted from her.

Did he feel guilty for playing her?

Yes. Even if she did work for the Bane Corporation. There had been something in her voice when she said she couldn't kill a spider that made him believe her. Made him believe that maybe not everyone at the Corporation was evil.

Could he live with it?

If it meant keeping his pack safe, yes. He'd do it a thousand times to a thousand women if it saved his people's lives.

She was a grown woman. She'd move on. It wasn't like he was going to physically hurt her. He would make sure she enjoyed her time with him, not only for the sake of ensuring she wanted to see him again, trust him, tell him about the Corporation, but as a form of payment for her contribution to his cause.

The parking lot in front of the Howling Moon was empty, aside from Kalem's Porsche. The bar opened later on Sundays. Plenty of time to sort things out with Kinsey. Hopefully, he could seduce and question her about the Corporation's motives behind her orders.

Inside, when the lights weren't flashing, the bar looked entirely different. The walls were navy, accented by the light gray floors beneath his feet. Stainless and black steel finished off the furniture and bar, giving it a cold, industrial feel. His interior designer had warned him it may off put a few customers, make them feel unwelcomed. She wasn't a shifter, didn't understand the allure of a cold, dark place.