Chapter 14

Damon couldn't have asked for a better turn out.

When the Folk leaders responded to his invitations, he had anticipated their ambassadors would be the ones attending. Tonight, the only leader who sent a representative was the fae queen. Vampire coven leader Ryce Renaldi was here with his entourage. James Hawthorne, the Warlock of Wensworth had graced the event with his presence. The most surprising was High Witch Colleen.

He had half a mind to believe she only appeared just so she could catch him off guard. If that was the case, she succeeded. He had only sent her an invitation to be polite, he never would have thought she'd come.

And, of course, representing humans, Mayor Paul John had come, none the wiser of the company tonight. As far as he was concerned, everyone was shifter or human.

Damon's pride swelled to see so many representatives from all Folk here. Everyone in this room wanted peace. Hopefully, one day, they would have it. One day his people wouldn't fear walking alone on the streets.

After his speech, people rushed to congratulate him or to inform him they had already donated to the cause. His responses were half-hearted. The only thing on his mind was reaching Kinsey, who had found herself surrounded by seemingly every available male in the building. She had a drink in her hand and was flushed from all the attention. Her smile lit up the whole room--and the hunger in the males' eyes. A possessive need overtook him, urged him to walk faster. That was his smile, reserved only for him.

One fae saw him coming and immediately turned and walked in the opposite direction. Others weren't so fortunate.

As soon as he was able, he hooked his arm around her waist and yanked her to his side.  He growled at the lot of them then steered her towards better company.

"Damon!" Kinsey gasped, stumbling in his hold. He loosened his grip so she could balance better. "What are you doing? I was talking to Chauncey."

"Chauncey--" he vowed to remember that name so he could track the vampire down later "--wants what you're hiding under that skirt."

"Damon." She dug her heels in, which, given her strength, didn't have a chance of stopping him, but her glare did. She placed a hand on his chest, calming him momentarily. He huffed, annoyed that she had that power over him. He wanted to be angry at the males for looking at her, why couldn't she let him? "What's the matter? You're acting. . . different."

"Nothing's wrong," he muttered, scanning the room for anyone who might be looking at her. For anyone he needed to hit.

"Are. . ." Her cheeks went rosy. "Are you jealous?"

Her words struck him and completely wiped his mind free of all previous thoughts. He swung his head back her way. "Jealous? That would imply I feel threatened by other men."

He was an Alpha, had all the money he could possibly want, and he was hot as fae fire. No other man could compete with him.

She looked at her feet. "Yeah. I guess you would have no reason to be jealous." Was that disappointment he heard with his very sensitive ears?

He caught her chin and brought her gaze up to meet his. "Do you want me to be jealous?"

Her eyes widened. "No. Of course not. I-I just. . ." Her voice lowered into a timid whisper, "I like it when you get all protective."

A slow smile crept up his lips. The news pleased his wolf and him. "That's good,  because I have a feeling you're going to be seeing a lot of that side of me tonight."

◇ ◇ ◇

Almost anyone who had some semblance of power in the city came to greet Kinsey--not him, the host and fellow leader. Some were curious and had to see her up close, while others asked more probing questions about the mysterious woman at his side. Damon had been nervous about what she would tell people, but she didn't once mention the Bane Corporation or Carissa.