Chapter 9

His heart felt like it took a trip through a shredder. 

Fuck, this is harder than I thought it would be. It didn't help that his wolf had fallen hard for Kinsey, now she was doing adorable shit like wrinkling her nose when she absorbed any sort of information. They were both working against him while he was trying to keep his pack safe

This would have been easier if she wasn't so cute, if she was more like the monsters she worked with. Instead of solidifying his resolve to carry out his plan, she had completely dissolved it in a single evening. The more she talked, the more guilty he felt for using her. 

Now, here she was, making space between them and looking up at him with tears glistening in her eyes. All he could think about was how much he wished this was a real date.

"Why are we really here, Damon?" she asked quietly. "Are you here for Carissa or for me?"

He took her in. All of her. From the pain in her eyes, to the defeated slump in her shoulders. The scent of her arousal ebbing away.

She really liked him. Or had.

The fucked up part was that he was starting to see why his wolf was drawn to her. It killed him that she doubted his motives, despite having every right to.

How many people had used her to make her believe she was no longer worthy to be loved?

Kinsey sucked in a deep breath and nodded, resolute. "I'll take your silence as a no, you are not here for me. . . I should go." She slid to the far end of the booth, about to leave.

He caught her hand. "Kinsey. Wait."

She didn't resist, but she couldn't bear to look at him, either.

"I'm here for you." He felt like such a dick for lying to her, for making her stay because he need more information on the Corporation, but it wasn't all a lie. Every laugh was real. The smiles she enticed out of him were real. "You're smart and beautiful--compassionate. You deserve far better than me, but I'm a selfish bastard and want you all to myself. If you'll take me."

Her mouth fell open. She joined him on the bench again, her cheeks adopting a rosy colour. A sour taste entered his mouth when he sensed her shame. "I'm sorry. I-I didn't mean to be rude. It's just. . . I'm really not used to this. To men wanting me. They usually only want Carissa."

He couldn't help himself. He wrapped his arm around her waist and pulled her right up against him. Right where she should be. "Don't ever apologize for looking out for yourself. Nobody would think twice about walking all over you." He hadn't, and now look where it had gotten him.

She tucked a loose strand of hair behind her ear, peering up at him timidly. "I'm not very good at that."

"Then I'll do it for you."

We will protect our female, the wolf agreed, purring contently at the feel of her supple body molding into his.

Who's going to protect her from me?

A waiter cleared his throat to get their attention. He struggled to hold two main entrees on his tray. "I can come back later if now's not a good time."

"No. It's all right." He touched the small of Kinsey's back and loved the way she subconsciously leaned into him. "Will you stay for the rest of dinner?"

She nodded, peering up at the waiter shyly. It was all the waiter needed to dish the plates out. "I will return in a little bit with the rest."

"Thank you." Her eyes fell onto the plate before her, yearning burned in her eyes. "This looks delicious. I haven't had steak in such a long time. . ."