Chapter 24

Kinsey's words struck Damon like a vicious whip. He didn't move an inch. Had no intention of leaving her side whatsoever. If he left her now, he'd lose her forever.

A hard glare settled in her features, causing her nose to wrinkle, when she realised he wasn't going anywhere. "I said leave, Damon. I never want to see you again."

The alpha within him reared his defiant head at her demand. He would not be commanded, not even by his mate. 

He closed the distance between them, not quite touching. Not close enough. "No. Victor did something to you. Tell me what happened." She smelt different. This new scent wasn't bad--actually, he and his wolf quite liked it--it was sweeter than her normal perfume, almost velvety in the way the aroma fluttered around him. But Victor Bane had made her this way. 

Her hands went to her hips. "Why? So you can use it against me later?"

Okay. He deserved that. She was hurting because of him. Because she thought this feeling between them was a lie. It was on him to show her it wasn't. That there would be no other woman for him.

"It's not safe to talk out here, Kinsey. Let's go inside." He gestured pointedly to her apartment door, which was wide open.

"There's nothing left to talk about--not when you won't deny what Victor said. He's right, isn't he? You. . ." She squeezed her eyes shut; a single tear streaked down her cheek. "You never cared about me. All those things you said to me. . . none of them were true."

Damon peered around the hallway; he wasn't familiar with this building, if there were any Night Folk who could listen in. Or any to spread rumors about Wensworth's Alpha hanging out in a hallway in the University District.

With limited options, Damon scooped Kinsey up, ignoring her protests, and carried her inside her friend's apartment, flicking the door shut with his foot.

Sabrina rushed to them. "Oh, my God. Kinsey, are you okay?"

"No. I want to be left alone." Kinsey pushed against him, wiggling to escape his grasp. He wanted to pretend he didn't notice and keep holding her, scared this would be the last time he'd get to hold her, but that certainly wouldn't help him in the long run, so he set her down on the couch gently. He pulled a fluffy blanket off the backrest and draped it over her.

As soon as he stepped away, Kinsey jumped to her feet and shoved him with more vigor than he expected. He almost didn't stop himself from falling on the coffee table. "Don't touch me! Go away, Damon!"

He held his ground. "No. You can't get rid of me that easily. We're talking."

Then, his sweet Kinsey did something he thought she would never do: she raised a hand to slap him. He caught her wrist, clenched his jaw. Regained his composure before he said or did something he would regret.

Frustrated, she huffed, blowing hair out of her face. She yanked her hand to free it, but he didn't budge. After several failed attempts to free herself, a growl ripped out of her throat. "Let me go!"

"Hey!" Sabrina marched over to their side and gripped Kinsey's shoulder while pinning Damon with a warning glare. "Everybody needs to calm down." She turned her glare to Kinsey. "Kins, babe, what's going on?"

She fumed. "He-he. . ." Suddenly all of the fight evaporated from her body. She seemed to shrink in size. Tears welled in her eyes. "It was all a lie," she spoke in the faintest of whispers. The raw hurt in her voice, in her eyes, tore him up, and gave her the opportunity to free her hand. She ran for the bathroom and shut the door behind her.

Sabrina gaped at the door, unsure if she should go after her friend or give her space. Biting her bottom lip, she looked up at Damon. "What. . . what just happened?"