Chapter 32

Kinsey took one look at the homunculi, and her stomach hit the floor.

That could have been you. The same thing that ran through her veins ran through theirs. They used to be people. Just like her and the scientists who had done this to them.

Now they were monsters.

The only thing standing between them and her was the man she loved. She hadn't freed him so he could defend her. They were supposed to escape together. And talk. If he was going to risk being torn apart by unnatural beings, the very least she could do was hear him out. Partially because not just any man would growl fiercely at horrible monsters with the promise of death hanging in the air, but also she hoped he loved her, that everything they had shared, every word, every touch, had been real. It had been real for her.

Dayton tugged on her arm, who had shockingly snuck in as a Victor look-like? She would have to ask how this Mimic potion he mentioned worked later.  "Let's move, Kinsey."

Move? Yes, she should be doing that, shouldn't she? She could try to process the fact Dayton knew she would be busting everyone out today once they were no longer being chased by monsters.

"But what about Damon-?"

He waved her onwards, gesturing to the elevator impatiently--as if she didn't already know where she was supposed to go. "He's fine."

Fine? He did not look fine! He was about to face off with four monsters, and she was supposed to run away? Nothing about this situation was fine.

Nevertheless, Dayton looked like he was going to murder her if she didn't start moving, so she turned and hurried to the elevator.

That's when she heard heavy paws coming their way. She refused to look back, even when snarls erupted behind her. Instinctively, she knew it was Damon, challenging the monsters, daring them to lay a claw on her.

This isn't how it's supposed to go. She just wanted him to be safe. She didn't mean for any of this to happen.

She reached the end of the hallway, deperately panting for air. The walls felt like they were closing in. Dayton watched her back while she opened the doors with strength she hadn't truly comprehended yet.

Boy, was she surprised when she saw the elevator. Terror set in when the real Victor ordered Echo to grab her.

She dove out of his way the first time, but the second time, he gripped her shoulder. The already angry wound protested and sent fiery hot pain down her side. She screamed. The pain was so much, her knees gave out. Echo caught her before she hit the floor and threw her onto his shoulder.

"Let me go! Dayton!"

But Dayton had joined the throng with Damon, fighting to keep the homunculi back. There was nothing they could do to help her.

Her claws came out--something they seemed to do when she was distressed. She sank her claws into Echo's back. Disappointedly, all she got out of him was a disgruntled grunt.

Victor slid an unimpressed glower her way then pressed the button to start up the elevator. "I never expected this from you, Kinsey."

"Wait! We can't leave yet!" She fought against Echo with everything she had, but even her newfound strength wasn't a match for him. The last thing she saw before the doors closed was Damon being thrown into a wall and surrounded by the homunculi. "Damon! We have to help them!"

Their battle was silenced as soon as the doors shut. The elevator began its grind upward, abandoning Damon and Dayton to a horrible fate.

"They are not important," Victor dismissed, jaw clenched. "Maybe we'll come back later to pick up whoever survives. You, however, are too important to our research." The hard edge in eyes faltered when he looked at her. "I thought we could have built a future together, Kinsey."