Chapter 21

Despite all the chaos during the night, Kinsey had a lovely time at Damon's. They had cuddled and made out on the couch, half-heartedly watching a movie, and fell asleep in each other's arms.

She had been rather reluctant to leave in the morning and Damon certainly expressed his wish for her to stay with him. He literally had her pinned to the couch with her hands above her head.

"Damon," she warned. "I have to go to work. Let me go."

He didn't move an inch, eyes locked onto her, determined to keep her captive. "Stay here with me. Please."

His earnest plea twisted her heart. She didn't blame him after yesterday's events. She was scared too, but her savings were rapidly depleting and if she lost her job she wouldn't be able to afford next month's car payment--or offer to buy Damon dinner. She had to go.

"Damon. . ."

Grunting, he pushed off the couch and paced the length of the room, hands going up into his hair.

She held the blankets close to her chest. The world seemed to freeze over when he wasn't near her to keep her warm. "Are you mad?"

He halted his pacing and hung his head. "Not at you. . ." He lifted his eyes to her. "Is it about money? If it is, I'll take care of it."

It pained her to see him so distraught. "Thank you, Damon, but I can't let you do that. I've come this far, to take your money after working so hard to keep myself afloat feels like I've admitted defeat. Do you understand?" She hoped he did. After all, he had climbed his way to the top, tooth and claw. Nobody gave him any handouts and he was strong because of it.

He let out an exasperated breath then came to her on the bed, sitting beside her but not looking at her. "I understand. I don't want to. I want to argue with you until you give in. But I do." Finally, he turned his gaze to her. "Promise me you'll be careful."

"Of course I will, Damon. I'm going to lock myself up in my office with a big 'do not disturb' sign until five o'clock then I'll come back here, if you want me to."

He reached up for her face, brushing his thumb along her cheek. "You come straight back to me."

She nodded then leaned forward to kiss his cheek. He turned his head and captured her lips in a fervent kiss.

She broke away first before she could convince herself to stay, and went through the motions of getting ready for the day.

When she pulled into the parking lot at work, she grumbled at the spot she'd been left with--the furthest from the entrance. Typically, it wouldn't have bothered her, but it was pouring this morning and she hadn't packed a rain jacket or umbrella when she had packed her overnight bag.

She ran for the door, hoping the rain didn't frizz up her hair too much and make her look like a mad scientist. With a long exhale, she sat at her desk and organized the data she had collected on her last trip. However, she found herself staring at the map more often than inputting data. Her mind kept going to the events of yesterday, from Carissa and the Pit--as Damon had called it--to the young boy with white hair last night. Cody, she'd heard him been called. His words ate at her.

"It's your fault my sister is gone!" She'd overheard more of him saying his sister had been taken.

Carissa had said their research came from volunteers, but that boy hadn't been lying. She'd never seen someone look so pained, so lost. His sister had been everything to him.

And her sister had lied to her.

Carissa being six years older, they didn't have much in common, and Kinsey always felt like a shadow in her brilliant light. Her family certainly didn't let her feel like anything else. But she had thought, at the very least, Carissa would be honest with her.