Chapter 28

"This is a terrible idea," Dayton grumbled to himself in the driver's seat of his Ford Expedition.

Kalem couldn't agree more: having three hot-headed males and one female in a vehicle was a terrible idea. He should have insisted on taking Sabrina in his car. Camen was giving her all kinds of death glares from the passenger seat, which set Kalem's wolf off and had him at the edge of his seat. Not only that, Dayton's choice of music stunk like a monkey's hairy balls.

"You all agreed on this plan," Sabrina muttered, not at all understanding the danger she was in. Or maybe she did, but the opportunity was too exciting for her to pass up.

She sank into her seat, which coincidently led her to leaning into Kalem. All the tension he'd felt earlier unwound and he finally let himself relax.

Was this how Damon felt around Kinsey? He had witnessed her calming his wolf with a single touch, had heard of other couples experiencing a similar phenomenon, but he hadn't understood the depth of their connection. It did more than ease the beast, it soothed his soul. 

"I didn't agree to letting you come along," Camen reminded Sabrina butterly. He cut Kalem with a dark look for bringing her along in the first place. This was shifter business, after all. There was no place for a human.

"I'm the best part of this plan," Sabrina shot back, not at all intimidated by him. Kalem wasn't sure if it was encouraged by bravery or stupidity. "Who else is going to write about your amazing adventure?"

Camen turned in his seat to face the front again, crossing his arms. "You don't know anything, human."

Kalem felt his words. Perhaps he should have told Sabrina why Camen was the way he was, then she wouldn't try to glorify their lives.

There was nothing fantastical about their lives. The Hayes lost their parents to poachers, their youngest brother to an evil scientist, and Kalem was abandoned after his first shift, when his human father found out his wife had cheated on him. For years before Damon had found him, Kalem had wandered from city to city, meeting Night Folk from all around, discovering his real father had not only been a shifter but one with fae heritage, which gave Kalem certain abilities other shifters didn't have. Like his premonitions, which were more like a gut feeling than anything, and his uncanny ability to make people see his way.

Sabrina crossed her arms and grumbled to herself quietly. Kalem patted her leg to calm her down. They were almost at the Midnight Rose Coven and the last thing he needed was for Sabrina to mouth off to the witches and for them to turn her into a toad. Or worse, not give them the Mimic potion.

Dayton pulled to a stop outside the large black Demenirium gates protecting the estate. The manor sat several kilometers out of town, shrouded in the dense Grimrock Forest. Witches liked to keep their privacy, a place to practice their spells without interruption.

Sabrina unbuckled her seat belt to get a better look out the window. "Whoa. I feel like I've woken up in a Victorian novel."

The manor was built during Queen Victoria's reign. It had spires, turrets, faded blue paint, and gothic detailing. Nothing new to Kalem or the others, but this kind of style wasn't popular in Wensworth; he understood why Sabrina fawned over it. He liked the way her eyes sparked with imagination.

"Sit down," Dayton threw over his shoulder. "We're not here to sightsee." He had been tense since the gates loomed into view, and it had nothing to do with the heavy sense of trepidation the gates gave off.

Dayton didn't have the best track record with the Midnight Rose Coven.

Suddenly, the front gate pulled back for them. Barely. The mirror clipped the tip of the gate; Dayton swore under his breath. No man was stupid enough to utter a curse in front of a witch. Or they'd show you what a real curse looked like.