Chapter 10

"Morning." Amelia smiled seeing Conrad as he and Jere walked down the stairs. 

"Mmm, did somebody get muff... muffins?" Alex asked. 

They all walked into the kitchen "Hi." Aunt Julia said. 

A girl with a pixie cut said "Hey, Jeremiah. Conrad." 

Conrad looked at Jeremiah "Skye. You didn't tell me she was here, too." 

"It's "they." Not "she."" Skye corrected "God, I guess it's been like a decade since I saw you guys. Um, how are you doing since your mom?"

"It's been rough." Jeremiah said sadly.  

Conrad decided to add the snarky remark of "Rougher now that our aunt's stealing our house." 

"I'm not stealing anything, Conrad." Julia said "Like it or not, I get to choose what happens to this house and I choose to put it on the market. You boys should get on the road. Beat the traffic back to Boston." 

"There's no chance." Conrad said. 

Amelia backed him up "We're staying for the open house."  

"Uh, no, no, no. I can't have a bunch of teenagers chasing everybody away. Call your father, because this isn't an Aunt Julia problem." Julia said annoyed. 

"Except it is. Because you are the problem." Conrad argued. 

"I don't have time for this." Julia said walking away to prepare the house. 

"Conrad, she's still your family." Belly argued. 

He scoffed at Belly "Then why is she doing this to us?"

"This is hard for her, too." Skye intervened.  

Conrad asked "Really? Seems like she's doing this all pretty fucking easily." 

Conrad walked away from the situation not being able to deal with it so early in the morning "He's grown into quite the asshоlе." Skye commented.. 

Amelia scoffed at Skye and ran after Conrad to help calm him down.

"You have no idea." Jeremiah whispered. 

After calming Conrad down they returned to the house. 

Amelia was in the hallway when she heard the doorbell. She opened the door and saw a woman "Hi. Can I help you?" 

"Sandy Denati." Teh woman said "I'm looking for Julia."  

"Right. Yes, uh, for the open house. You know, Julia actually decided to cancel. Yeah, it's last-minute, but, um, she's having some second thoughts." Amelia said in fake sadness. 

"Sorry, who are you?" Sandy asked confused. 

Conrad appeared behind her and said "She's my girlfriend, and she's, um, and she's right. The house is not for sale." 

"Conrad Fisher, right?" Sandy asked "It's nice to see you. I am sorry about your mom." 

"Well, clearly not sorry enough to pass up the opportunity to sell her house." He commented. She just shook her head "I'm just doing my job." 

"Well, consider this an unexpected day off." Amelia said trying to calm the tension. 

Julia bustled over and pushed them out of the way "Ignore them. Ignore them. There will be an open house today. But there does seem to be a minor problem with the AC. It died."

"That is not a minor problem, Julia. It is supposed to hit 95 today." Sandy said. 

"Yeah. Okay, um, let's chat outside for a minute." 

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to call you my girlfriend." Conrad said awkwardly. 

"Don't worry about it. It's fine." Amelia shrugged. Deep down she kind of liked that he called her his girlfriend. But that part of her was soo deep down she couldn't sense it. 

"Hey, is everything okay?" Jeremiah asked as Amelia and Conrad walked into the Kitchen. 

"No, the realtor just got here." Amelia explained.  

"Shit." Alex exclaimed.  

"What are we going to do?" Jeremiah asked.  

Conrad sighed and put his head in his hands "I don't know what else we can do." 

"Well, maybe Skye has some information that could help us." Belly suggested.  

"I don't know. If only we could get a moment alone with her. " Conrad said.  

"Them." Jeremiah corrected. 

"Right. Thanks." 

"Well, good luck because those two are inseparable." Belly said. 

"I don't fucking know." Conrad snapped at her. 

"It's so hot. It's like 2,000 degrees in here." Taylor complained. 

"Aunt Julia said the AC is broken." Jere explained. 

"Oh, what? No way." Steven said in a mischievous voice.  

Julia walked in saying "Today's open house has been cancelled. So I need you all out of the house while I get the AC guy here to do some work. Also, uh, who is the AC guy?" 

Skye asked her Mom "Uh, do you want me to look one up for you?" 

"Uh, no, no, that's okay. I'm certain Susannah has her preferred technician and four approved backups right here."  Julia gestured to the paperwork in her hand. 

"Great. Now we don't have to lie about the black mould to the buyers." Jeremiah joked. 

"Let's go to the beach." Alex suggested.  

Conrad shook his head "I'm not leaving." 

Jeremiah sighed "Come on, Conrad. We've won this round. Let's just get out of here." 

"The mall has good AC." Taylor said hopefully. 

Conrad nodded "Cool. Have fun. I didn't ditch finals just to leave this house for the taking by..." 

"Conrad, I'm trying... straining to keep my shit together. You've already ruined my day. The least you could do is get out of my hair for a few hours." Julia said angrily.  

Amelia was going to go at this bitch "You think you're the only one..."

Alex quickly covered his twins mouth as Belly suggested "What about the boardwalk?" 

"Yeah, the boardwalk. That's a great idea." Jere agreed.  

Steven shrugged "Yeah, I'm down." 

Amelia sighed "Yeah, me too." 

Conrad looked at Amelia "Yeah, fine. Yeah." 

"Hey, you should come with us, Skye." Belly suggested.  

Skye looked shocked "Oh, um, sounds very state fair. I think I should just stay with you, right? " she asked her Mom. 

"No. Wasn't my favourite, but you might like it." Julia said busy.  

Skye looked surprised "I shouldn't just stay with you?"

"No, I'll be fine. After this, I'm going to go back to the hotel for a nap and a NAN fan." Julia said.  

Skye shrugged "Guess I'm coming with you guys." 

Belly smiled "Okay." 

Taylor cheered "Great! Let's go."

They all set off across the cars and drove to the Boardwalk.