Chapter 15

"Everything's gone." Belly said looking around at the completely empty house.  

"What the fuck, Julia?" Conrad asked.  

Julia sighed "I'm sorry. This must be such a shock. I-I spoke to your father this afternoon, and-and he and I decided that it would be best not to drag this out any longer than necessary." 

"I don't give a shit what the two of you decided on. You had no right to touch anything in this house. Those were her things." Conrad yelled.

"Breathe, Connie. Okay?" Amelia said trying to grab his hand.  Conrad snapped at her "Stop." he pushed her away making her stumble into Cam who caught her.  

Julia explained "Everything's in storage. I made sure that everyone was very careful with every single thing. I'm just doing what I have to do to sell this house." 

Conrad shook his head "Bullshit. You could have said something. You could have warned us. All you want to do is fight our mom, constantly." 

"Okay, enough." Julia yelled back "You're not the only one that's hurting here. And I'm not the one you should be angry with. Your mother could have warned you that this was gonna happen. She just wanted to make me the bad guy, as usual." 

"I'm so sorry tthat she was too busy dying to make your life a little easier. You know, it sucks that our grandfather loved her more than you, but I'm not surprised." Conrad said storming out.  

Jeremiah shook his head "Conrad could have chosen his words better. But he's not wrong. The truth hurts. All of it hurts."

Everyone walked out of the house. Steven yelled after Conrad "Connie, come on... No. Connie."

"Of course, Dad did nothing to stop her." Conrad scoffed. 

Jere tried to get his brothers attention "Connie, what can he do?" 

"Jere! He doesn't care about us!" he yelled then he put his phone away "And this asshоlе won't even pick up my... calls." He suddenly turned to Skye "Did you know about this? I'm, no, I'm serious. I'm serious. Did you know about this?" 

Skye stammered "I-I didn't know anything, okay? I swear I would have told you."

Conrad scoffed "Would you have? Really? Because we haven't seen each other in ten years. Would a day at the boardwalk have been enough to make you betray your mom?"

"Listen, I know we don't know each other very well, but I-I wouldn't have sideswiped you like this." Skye promised them. 

"Conrad-Just Stop!" Amelia yelled. This made him pause his rage rant. She just looked at him and blinked back tears. This wasn't her Conrad. This was someone else.  

 "Connie, come on. What are we going to do?" Jere asked. 

"I don't know." Conrad said. 

Jeremiah sighed "Okay, we can't just leave. All right? The house isn't sold yet. We still have a chance." 

Skye shook their head "A slim one. I mean, full disclosure, Mom's realtor is expecting multiple cash offers, all over asking, no contingencies." 

"Thank you, Skye, for that bleak as fuck assessment. Also, where are we going to sleep tonight?" Jeremiah asked.  

"I think there are some sleeping bags in the garage." Belly suggested.  

Conrad shook his head "I'm not sleeping this house." 

"Okay, I... We don't have to. All right?" Belly comforted him.  

"Okay, well, hotels would be all booked up around this time of year." Alex explained. 

"I feel like I should... go. And I'd totally invite you guys to come stay with me, but it's a pretty small place, so..." Cam trailed off sadly. 

"Yeah, maybe... maybe we should go, too." Alex said gesturing between him and Amelia who refused to even look in Conrad's direction.  

Jeremiah shook his head "Don't go yet. I know a place we can crash for the night."