ii. A Proposal

By midnight, you were up eating ice cream and watching your favorite cartoons while Scarlet was passed out drunk on the couch with her shirt on backwards.

Suddenly, you heard a knock on the door. Glancing through the peep hole, you saw Mr. Murphy standing there, soaking wet with a paper in his hand, as well as a duffel bag over his shoulder. You quickly opened the door.

"Mr. Murphy?" You asked in shock, watching as rain trickled down his face.

"You left your books," he mumbled, obviously pissed, before shoving his duffel bag into you. He turned to walk away, but you grabbed his arm.

"Come inside, you must be freezing," you sighed, setting your books down on the coffee table.

Mr. Murphy looked revolted at the sight of Scarlet passed out on the couch, but he sat beside her anyway. He gently nudged her feet off the couch and scooted into where he'd be more comfortable.

"Ignore her," you said, coming to him with a heated blanket and a mug of tea. "Here."

Mr. Murphy took the tea and blanket and stared up at you. "What's all of this for?" He asked.

"For letting me get my grades up," you answered, smiling. He nodded and quickly finished the tea before getting up.

"Thanks for this Y/N, but I better go," he stood up, and your hands accidentally touched. He looked down at you and smiled before quickly walking out, taking his duffel bag with him.

Shortly after he left, Scarlet stood up and looked at you. "You slept with Mr. Murphy?" She opened her mouth in shock.

"What? No! Ew! Oh my god Scarlet, ew." You shook your head and made a disgusted face. "You were awake that whole time?"

"Oh my god Y/N! If you haven't slept with him, you totally should. Get that A+ girl!" Scarlet exclaimed, and you scoffed and pushed you off her.

"Gross. Absolutely not. With him?"

"He's so dreamy," she sighed. "I would do it."

"Then you do it!" You threw your hands up and quickly walked to the bedroom.

-

That morning, you were first again. It made you look like a total creep.

"Early again, Y/N?" Mr. Murphy chuckled. "You really want that grade up, don't you.." He shook his head.

After doing some thinking, Scarlet was right. You could seduce your professor into getting a one-way ticket to law school. But you had to write that god awful resume too.. maybe he'd let it slide for a night together.

But if he were to turn on you and tell the administrators, you'd be done for. No law school. No nothing. You'd be back in your parents' house living in the shadows of the daughter they wish they had.

"I have a proposal," you said after taking a deep breath.

"It better not be what I think it is," he sighed, removing his glasses and folding them. He looked up at you.

"Mr. Murphy," you sighed, placing your hand on his while it was rested on the desk. He looked down at your hand and swallowed.

"No," he said firmly. "I'm married." But he didn't take his hand back.

Please, this had to work.

"I didn't want it to be this way," you whispered, sliding your hand up his arm and to his tie. "But it looks like I have no choice."

After a painful ten seconds of silence, what felt like ten years, Mr. Murphy sighed and dropped his head low. He took your hand and squeezed it, shaking his head.

"Mr. Murphy.. are you.. crying?" You asked, after noticing him sniffling. And when he didn't respond, you finally realized.

He was just as broken as you were.