viii. Peace

A couple months went by still pregnant with Cillian's baby. You'd had your fair share of arguments, Cillian walking out.. but you'd always end up finding yourselves holding each other in bed at night.

In fact, this night was special; it was your one month anniversary being in an official relationship with your college English professor.

He'd bought you your favorite snacks you'd been craving, made you a delicious dinner that was easy on your stomach, and even watched your favorite shows with you (which he hated, but he just wanted to make you happy).

"Pregnancy cravings are taking over me," you said as Cillian set down three grocery bags on your counter while you sat on the couch.

"I'm putting limits on these," he chuckled.

"I can control myself." You knew you were lying.

"Oh, please," Cillian laughed. "I don't forget that night you ate two tubs of cookie dough ice—"

"Shut up!" You whined, reaching for Cillian to pass you the cookies.

"You can have three for now," he said firmly, raising an eyebrow at you before handing you three chocolate chip cookies.

You immediately shoved one in your mouth and moaned at the deliciousness of it. "Oh my god," you said with the cookie in your mouth as Cillian sat down next to you.

"You're gross, swallow!" Cillian chuckled and covered his eyes. After you forcefully swallowed, he looked back at you.

"These are the best things to have ever been invented," you whispered dramatically.

"Better than sex?" He asked, grinning.

"Technically, sex wasn't invented," you protested. "I wonder how it was discovered. You know, among humans."

"Like this," Cillian teased, starting to crawl on top of you.

"Get off!" You squealed, trying to shove Cillian off of you. When he pulled back and the two of you giggled for a bit, you winded from nausea. "No one told me the first trimester was this hard."

"No one told you how to be a mom, if we're being honest," Cillian said, shrugging his shoulders.

"Yeah..." You nodded, "How're your kids?" You asked, looking up at him.

"Let's not talk about them."

"But they're your kids," you said, frowning. "Come on, what's something they said to you recently?"

"Can't remember," he mumbled, picking at his fingers. "They've barely looked at me, really."

"They love you, Cillian," you sighed, rubbing his arm. "You have to tell your wife— ex wife about us."

"I refuse," Cillian whispered, looking down.

"But why?" You asked, leaning closer to him.

"I'm afraid it's none of her business." Cillian grinned and leaned his forehead against yours before closing his eyes. "I want our love to be between us only."

You sighed and closed your eyes as well. "She's gonna have to know eventually." Sliding your hands to his back, you hugged Cillian and leaned on his shoulder. "Take me to bed."

"Let's go," he whispered, standing up with you and holding your hand as you walked to the bed with him.

-

Midnight came, and you couldn't sleep despite Cillian beside you. You bit your lip and gently nudged him, admiring how good he looked laying there.

He opened his eyes slowly and looked over at you. "What's up?" He whispered, carefully sitting up to kiss your cheek.

"Can't sleep," you sighed. "I keep thinking about giving birth and it's scaring me."

Cillian chuckled. "I've been there twice. You'll be fine." He hugged you and you played with his hair, slowly moving onto his lap. He looked up at you and held your waist.

"What do you do when you can't sleep?" You asked, cupping his face.

"Well," he started, leaning his head back. "I know what you're trying—"

"You must know what to do," you interrupted.

Cillian smiled. "I used to recite poems."

"Could you get any cheesier?" You giggled. "Go on, recite one for me."

He thought for a moment before beginning. "Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?"

"Not Shakespeare," you rolled your eyes.

"Come here, you." Cillian grabbed you and pulled you down next to him, watching as you giggled hysterically.

-

Cillian breathed heavily and collapsed next to you as you brushed your hair back and breathed as heavy as he was. You looked over at him and giggled breathily, snuggling into his naked body.

"Do you feel at peace now?" He asked, smiling up at the ceiling.