Cup 7: Advent of a Hero

"[Insight]," Sylfie invoked. Her eyes flashed for a moment, followed by a grimace.

"What's the plan?"

"The plan is for you to stop gripping my shoulders so tightly! I can't aim properly!" she spoke through gritted teeth. Sylfie kept her bow trained on the mass of eyes waiting just behind the shadows.

"S-sorry," Ryu mumbled, loosening his grip. He stood behind Sylfie, his focus darting between the trees, watching as more glowing eyes gathered around them. His knees shook and his teeth chattered as the color drained from his face. What kind of f*cked up world is this? Can I seriously not go a minute without some demonic creature showing up?!

"This appears to be quite the tricky situation! I shall make my exit posthaste! I do hope you survive, adventurers! All the best!" Elder Chestnut bid them farewell, burrowing underground with urgency.

"W-wait a minute! You coward! You can't leave us here!" Ryu called after him. "I swear to God, the next time I see him I'll turn him into firewood!"

It was just the three of them now against a sea of ravenous beasts. Aurora poked her head out of Ryu's collar, her ears twitching. "W-what do we do now, nya? They'll eat us! I can feel it! They'll probably start with me because I'm the softest!"

"I don't have any ideas. About earlier, were you serious about the radius of your magic?" Ryu questioned her.

"Yeah! It'll blow up the forest if I use it. I don't know any small-scale spells. No one taught me."

Ryu found it odd she knew so little for an immortal. "Aurora, how long have you been alive, exactly?"

Aurora pondered for a moment.

"Now's not the time!" Sylfie interrupted, just as the first of the Night Crawlers emerged from the shadows. As more followed its lead, their forms were made visible by the flame from Sylfie's arrow. They snarled viciously, baring long fangs dripping with what Ryu hoped was pomegranate juice. The Night Crawlers' onyx fur was matted and dirty, fragments of bone and animal matter entangled in their coats. They appeared to be some sort of mix between wolves and hyenas, presenting markedly canine features.

Sylfie stepped back slightly, as they shook their heads, flinging saliva all over the place. The grass melted upon contact with the corrosive material, fraying Ryu's nerves even further upon witnessing it. They were trapped, with nowhere to run or hide. Ryu resigned himself to his fate. This is it. A new life, short-lived and traumatic. Maybe it's a blessing that I won't remember this place in the next life.

"Can't you do something about this, nya?! You defeated the Hibiscus Stag, right? This should be easy!" Aurora squeaked.

Sylfie shook her head. "These monsters are [Level 70]. The Hibiscus Stag was [Level 60]. It was a yellow enemy, still within my damage threshold. All of these creatures are red. I can't do a single point of damage with my skills. The weird thing is, they shouldn't even be here. Their home is in a system of caves north of this area. Why would they come down here all this way?"

"I knew it," Ryu chuckled, dejectedly. "There's nothing we can do. I might as well take matters into my own hands. Aurora, prepare the explosion!"

"On it!" Aurora saluted.

"Don't do anything stupid!" Sylfie bit her lip, her expression souring. "There may be one option," she mustered with great effort.

"Then tell us!" Ryu exclaimed.

"I swear, if you make fun of me—"

"This is a life or death situation, woman! You can feel embarrassed about whatever it is you're worried about later! At least we won't be digesting inside these beasts' bellies!"