Cup 9: The Don of Cacao

Ryu followed Sylfie's lead, grabbing water from the townsfolk and dousing the smoldering café. They had formed a conveyor belt of sorts, handing buckets of water to one another until they reached the people closest to the flames.

The fire roared as Ryu and Sylfie worked in tandem to put them out while Aurora stood on Ryu's shoulder, providing moral support. More good Samaritans joined in, helping to quench most of the flames by the time the fire brigade arrived.

As the last of the flames were extinguished Ryu followed Sylfie as she searched for her grandmother. It didn't take long to find her. The little old lady shook her fist with rage as the poor fire marshal attempted to calm her down.

"Ruffians! Thugs! Two-bit thieves! No-good low-life scum!" she yelled.

"Grandmother!" Sylfie exclaimed, rushing over to her side. "What happened here—the café!"

"It was those gangsters from the western district! They demanded I pay 'my family's debts' or else they threatened to ruin me. Look what they did! My baby! Your grandfather built this with his own two hands. Imagine what he'd say!" she sobbed.

"Don't worry, Grandmother. There wasn't much damage done. Sure, the exterior could use a little remodeling but the bones are still solid. Besides, you're safe and sound, and that's what matters most. You can always build another café but I can't replace you," Sylfie consoled her.

Her grandmother chuckled, wiping the tears from her eyes. "I suppose you're right, dear." She forgot about her café momentarily, her gaze suddenly fixated on Ryu. "And who might you be? I know all the faces in town and yours is a face I've never seen before!"

"A p-pleasure to meet you, ma'am," Ryu stammered, conscious of being singled out.

"Please call me Hazel, dear," she smiled warmly. "You tried to save my café too, if I recall. I can tell you're a good man. Tell me, what brings you to this part of town? Maybe you were eager to try some of my brews? Unfortunately," —she waved over to the scorched outer layer of the café— "we'll be closed for repairs."

"No, Grandmother. I brought him," Sylfie corrected her.

Hazel's relaxed eyes doubled in size. "You brought him? A man?"

"Wait, I didn't mean it like that—"

"It seems I don't have to worry about you after all!" She sized Ryu up. "Handsome enough. Hmm, a bit thin—we'll need to fatten him up. Have you told your parents? They would be delighted!"

"As I said, Grandmother, I didn't mean it in that way," Sylfie said, blushing.

"Oh? So it's casual then?"

"D-don't speak like that! It's nothing like that! He's my Coffee Brewing instructor. In exchange, I'm teaching him how to become a better adventurer," she explained, hiding her ears.

A sly grin spread across Hazel's face. "It always starts that way. Then you'll be exchanging other favors and before you know it you'll have elflings of your own. How do you think I snagged your grandfather? That man never stood a chance."

Sylfie covered her face in embarrassment, much to Ryu's enjoyment. He didn't imagine she would lose composure like this so easily, but after all, it was her grandmother.

Sylfie shook her head trying to retain some semblance of dignity. "Grandmother, you said the men who did this were from the western district, correct?"

"Yes, a man by the name of Cal Puccino came to the café the other day making threats. I'm sure it was him."

"Stay here, I'll go see what I can do about these troublemakers." Sylfie's eyes burned with anger. She looked at Ryu for confirmation and the two headed west.