Cup 28: A Lesson in Ranks

Ryu approached the outdoor seating area of the café cautiously, relieved when he saw Sylfie and Wisteria chatting pleasantly with one another, back to their usual selves. He took a seat at the table waving over to one of the waiters.

"Sorry to keep you guys waiting," he said.

"No worries, we weren't waiting very long," Wisteria smiled. "I ordered for the three of us. Giuseppe should be here shortly with our lattes."

Lattes—one of the most popular drinks at Java Roast next to the classic black coffee. Ryu still had nightmares thinking about the morning rush, or when they had run a limited-time promotion in the fall, using the pumpkin spice recipe from their American counterpart. It was pandemonium, to say the least.

Despite the horrors that the drink summoned in the form of customers, it was relatively simple to make. Similar to a cappuccino, the ingredients were the same with tweaks to the added ratios to make the drink stand on its own.

A man dressed in [Brewer's Attire] came out of the café, holding a tray with three cups in saucers. He set the cups down in front of them, taking a short bow.

"Buongiorno, I hope you enjoy," he said.

"Giuseppe, these are the adventurers I was talking to you about," Wisteria said, introducing Ryu and Sylfie.

"Ah, I see, a pleasure to meet you two. And who might this little one be?" he asked, tickling Aurora playfully.

"This is Aurora, their pet—"

"Hey! I'm no pet! I'm a valued member of this party, nya! Isn't that right, Ryu?"

"That's right," Ryu nodded.

Giuseppe narrowed his eyes at him, making him slightly uncomfortable. The café owner leaned over the table, a serious expression on his face. He swatted Ryu's hand as he attempted to pull out his purse to pay.

"You do not pay."

"Huh?" Ryu sat there dumbfounded.

Giuseppe pointed at Ryu. "You are not like others. You have the potential for great things. Please, your presence is payment enough at my café."

Sylfie raised an eyebrow. "What is he talking about?"

Ryu shook his head, shrugging his shoulders. He hadn't a clue, but he was not one to pass up on free food or drink.

"Thanks!" he grinned, sipping on his latte.

Wisteria eyed Ryu suspiciously paying the fee for her's and Sylfie's lattes.

Giuseppe left them to enjoy their coffee in peace.

"Don't you look at me like that," Ryu responded, indignantly. "Maybe my reputation precedes me. I did beat your brother in a Brew Battle, remember?" he said to Wisteria.

The ladies remained unconvinced. "He's hiding something," Sylfie whispered to Wisteria.

"I agree, there's no way Ryu's reputation warrants this kind of special treatment. I wonder what he's done this time," Wisteria whispered back.

"H-hey! I can hear you! We're not sitting that far away from each other!" Ryu exclaimed, growing red. "Is it so hard to believe I may have done something impressive enough to be treated nicely?"

"Yes," they responded, without hesitation.

The confidence with which they answered dealt a blow to Ryu's psyche. He swore revenge for the slight.

As he sipped his latte, grumbling and glaring at his companions, mirroring their hostility, he furrowed his brow. His tongue felt tingly. He contemplated the sensation for a moment, rolling the coffee around in his mouth.