Cup 17: The Man Who Grasped the Heavens

Ryu and Sylfie managed to hitch a ride from an old guardsman returning to town. His eyes glowed for a second, likely casting [Insight] to see if they posed a threat. He raised an eyebrow, a crooked grin forming at the corner of his mouth as he finished sizing them up.

"Looks like you folks had quite the night," he chuckled, after letting them in his caravan.

"Tell me about it," Ryu groaned.

"Now that's something you don't see every day," the old man continued. "Demons! And you took the pants right offa them, ha! Wait till the lads at the pub hear this one. You young people do the strangest things."

Ryu buried his face in his hands, causing Sylfie to snicker. She covered her mouth, trying her best to spare his feelings. Unfortunately, Ryu was painfully aware that she was laughing; he could feel her silently shake as they sat shoulder to shoulder, sharing space with the guardsman's luggage.

When they finally arrived back at Cacao Town, Ryu's heart sank. The night was still young, and the streets were bustling with activity. Taverns, food vendors, and tea shops were open for business, drawing in groups of patrons. Of course, the largest hub of traffic was Hazel's café, teeming with adventurers, travelers, merchants, and all sorts of odd individuals entering town at this hour.

Ryu attempted to hide under Sylfie's cloak as they pushed their way past the crowd, trying to reach the apothecary.

"Get out of there! People are going to stare!" she said, pulling her cloak away.

"What is that guy doing with a pair of panties? What a weirdo!" a young woman standing near them exclaimed. She was surrounded by a group of her peers. They whispered amongst themselves, laughing and pointing at Ryu.

"W-wait! There's been a misunderstanding! These aren't mine! They're someone else's!" he tried explaining.

The women shuffled back, giving Ryu a wide berth of space. "Eek! Creep! Get away from us!"

"In what reality did you think that would make things better? Why did you even bring them here in the first place?" Sylfie scolded him.

"It's not about the panties!" he said, shaking his fist while still clutching the pair tightly. "It's a matter of principle! I defeated a demon! Shouldn't I take pride in my hard-earned spoils of battle?"

Sylfie rolled her eyes. "The only thing spoiled is your brain."

Ryu stuffed the undergarments in his pocket, turning red. What was he doing? He tried to calm down and maintain a level head. Truth be told, this was the closest he had ever gotten to—he stared down at Aurora watching him curiously.

"Closest to what, Ryu?"

"So you were reading my mind, again!"

"Well, what else am I supposed to do, nya? I'm bored, and there's all sorts of strange things that go on in your head," she replied innocently.

Ryu sighed; he didn't have the energy to muster a rebuttal.

They reached the apothecary just as the owner was about to close.

"Wait a moment!" Sylfie called out.

The owner stopped the shutter door halfway, scoffing. "Make it quick."

Ryu rummaged through his pack, presenting the [Hoof of the Hibiscus Stag] to the middle-aged witch. She squinted her eyes, adjusting her glasses as she scrutinized the item. The owner grunted her approval, disappearing back into her shop for a moment. She reemerged, holding a bag of Cacao Nibs, and handed it to Ryu.

"Sixty-thousand. Count them, so I can go home," the witch said.

Ryu scanned the bag with [Insight], verifying that he had received the correct amount. The witch gave them a quick nod and then she was off. Sylfie scratched her head, puzzled.