Cup 11: Dark Elves' Brew

Ryu winced as the Don crumpled to the floor. They made a hasty retreat, leaving Puccino's hideout. He took one last wistful glance at the Succubus Chambers and fled the western district with Sylfie and Aurora. They would not be able to come back anytime soon.

The evening sun hung low in the distance. It wasn't until they reached Hazel's café that they stopped to catch their breath—at least Sylfie did. Ryu still had [Swift Foot] activated. He deactivated the skill, clicking his teeth. They had gone to Cal Puccino's to solve matters. Instead, they ended up making things worse.

"What are we supposed to do now?! I doubt Puccino is going to let this incident slide!" Ryu exclaimed.

Sylfie didn't answer, still doubled over. Ryu raised an eyebrow, suddenly concerned. Had she been hit? Was she injured?

"Sylfie are you—" he paused, realizing that she wasn't doubled over in pain, but with laughter.

She could barely hold herself together, tears forming in the corners of her eyes.

"I don't think Puccino will want to mess with you anytime soon, 'Nutcracker'," she managed.

Ryu grimaced, he could almost feel the Don's pain. He wouldn't wish that on his worst enemy.

"Haha, that's very funny but I did what I had to do," he said dryly.

Sylfie shook her head, still laughing. "No, check your [Adventurer Title]."

Ryu narrowed his eyes, casting [Insight] on himself. He scrolled down to his titles, feeling his stomach drop as he found what he was looking for.

[Title gained for first heroic feat!]

[Adventurer Title: Nutcracker]

Sylfie leaned back, holding her stomach. She was enjoying Ryu's plight a little too much.

Ryu's eyes twitched. "Can everybody see this?"

"Yep! Be proud, Ryu! Now everyone knows you've done something heroic. It even gives them a description of how you received the title, nya," Aurora said.

Ryu looked around at the passing townsfolk. Some walked by without a second's glance, while others stopped to point at him, laughing. Ryu tore at his hair, dragging Sylfie inside the café. Thankfully, the place was empty on account of the fire. Hazel greeted them warmly as they took a seat away from any windows.

"This can't be my first title!" Ryu exclaimed. "I can't be known as the Legendary Nutcracker!"

"Look on the bright side, men will think twice about crossing an adventurer with a penchant for 'cracking nuts'," Sylfie reassured him.

Ryu buried his face in his hands. "It's over," he moaned. "I didn't even last two days without ruining my reputation."

"Nonsense!" Hazel said, placing a fresh cup of coffee in front of them. "Your first title only lasts until your second heroic feat. Once you do something else noteworthy that title will disappear, replaced by a new one. You won't have to worry for long, dear."

Ryu managed a smile. "Thanks, Miss Hazel." He paused just before taking a sip of the steaming dark brew, turning to her. "I've been meaning to ask, would you be willing to set us up with room and board, if only temporarily? I'd be willing to work here as payment."

Hazel thought for a moment. "Hmm, we are short on Coffee Brewers and I'm surprised you were able to create a mocha after just one attempt, but from what I hear, you were using a contraption created by Arch Mages. We Dark Elves use slightly different methods than those of the arcane arts."

Arcane magic? There wasn't anything particularly strange about the machines that he had used. In fact, they seemed relatively mundane compared to the rest of the magic he had witnessed in this world. Were they really powered by magic? Perhaps. Ryu recalled that he hadn't seen any form of electricity except for Agrius' lightning spell. If Dark Elves didn't use an espresso machine to make espresso, then what did they use?