Cup 27: Shopping for _______ Dresses

"You made me buy a chunk of metal," Sylfie sighed, disappointed as she eyed the wrapped bundle attached to the hip of Ryu's waist belt.

"I told you, it's an ancient dagger! It's a piece of history! And you didn't actually pay for anything but your own stuff. Besides, who knows what sort of secret power it'll unlock in the future," Ryu retorted.

"Until then, it's just a chunk of metal," Sylfie reiterated.

Ryu brushed aside her comments; he wouldn't hear another word. [Grimm Reign]; it exuded a dark energy that made him weak in the knees every time it came into contact with his bare skin. Keeping it wrapped was necessary for now. The store clerk had seemed eager to get rid of it, selling it for the discounted price of nothing.

"T-take it!" the clerk had said, practically shoving the blade into his hands. "I don't want any more trouble. That thing is your problem now."

Ryu ignored the blaring red sirens sounding off in his brain, happily accepting the free knife. Ominous or not, the man would never pass up on a good deal.

They headed to the fashion district, the streets lined with little boutiques displaying haute couture. Ryu was overwhelmed by the selection of Cerulian name brands available, each with its own set of items in the windows of their respective storefronts.

Sylfie gasped, pressing her face to the glass of one of the stores. Ryu recognized the type of clothing on display. Two qipao dresses were fitted over mannequins, one a shade of cool jade with koi fish designs sewn into it, and the other a fiery ruby, with a powerful serpentine dragon coiling itself around the dress.

"The KoI brand is pretty well known internationally. Their dresses are made with high-quality fabrics and each one is handcrafted by artisans," Wisteria explained, proud of her knowledge on designer clothing.

Sylfie eyed Ryu's purse. He clutched it instinctively, all too familiar with the look. Working the evening shift at Java Roast, he had seen plenty of similar scenarios play out as he walked back home late at night. Usually, girls in high school or college-aged women exhibited this behavior, asking their dates or their boyfriends for "the latest dress or handbag on display".

He had always scoffed, viewing the ones who relented as spineless pushovers. Then again, he had never been on a date himself. He waved away the thought; he was neither Sylfie's date nor her boyfriend. He had no obligation to pay.

"Forget it," he said.

"Let me at least try them on, and you three can give me your honest opinions," Sylfie implored.

That sounded fine to him. Ryu agreed, and they entered the shop. A light jingle of the bell indicated that customers had arrived. The woman running the store greeted them pleasantly, asking if they had any questions and if something had caught their eye.

Sylfie pointed to the set of qipao dresses. The store owner obliged, handing her the fiery red dress to try on first.

"What do you guys think?" she asked, twirling around.

Wisteria gave her a nod of approval, Aurora matching the energy with two thumbs up. The dress was form-fitting, hugging Sylfie's body and accentuating her features. More than anything, it made her seem delicate and refined. Ryu's gaze traveled from her pointed ears down to the tips of her toes. She appeared softer than when she wore her rugged hunter's gear—not that Ryu preferred one over the other—he liked both sides of her...

He started to sweat, tugging at his collar. He felt the heat rising in his face.

"Ryu? What about you? Do you like the dress?" Sylfie asked him.