Cup 21: Beat the Heat With an Ice Cold Brew!

"I refuse. Goodbye."

"What?!" Mathias exclaimed.

"Look, I didn't come here to get into a Brew Battle with some rich snob. I've got important business to attend to," Ryu stated. "C'mon, Sylfie, let's go see the rest of the city. Maybe we can shop for some new supplies. Hazel mentioned a specialty store a few blocks from here."

"H-hold on a minute!" Mathias protested.

Ryu scowled, waving a dismissive hand at the young lord. "I've already said, no. Take a hike."

"If you beat me, I'll reward you handsomely! How about it? How does a bow crafted from the wood of Yggdrasill sound?"

"He'll do it," Sylfie said, turning around with a serious expression.

"Don't volunteer me just so you can get a reward out of it!" Ryu exclaimed. "I'm the one he wants to compete with, and I say no!"

"Yeah, Sylfie. You should respect Ryu's wishes, nya!" Aurora stated.

"I'll throw in a lifetime free food service to any gourmet seafood restaurant here in Kopi City," Mathias added.

"He'll do it," Aurora replied without hesitation.

"You traitors!" Ryu fumed as Aurora and Sylfie took the noble's side, whispering into his ears.

"Oh! I see! Of course, I forgot the most important thing! The grand prize will be one-hundred thousand Cacao Nibs, how does tha—"

"I'll do it," Ryu stated, resolutely extending his hand. "You were always my favorite noble."

"You only know three," Mathias grumbled. "However, I'm glad you've come to your senses. The competition will take place at your convenience. Just say the word and I'll have everything set up for us."

Ryu exchanged a glance with Sylfie. "We're pressed for time. Honestly, I'm ready to go right now if you're willing."

Mathias gulped. "O-of course! I'm always ready! I was just being courteous! Maxwell!"

"The preparations will be made shortly, Sir Mathias," Sir Maxwell replied, bowing before taking his leave.

"Hey, you think I could talk to Sir Maxwell after this?" Ryu asked, his eyes fixated on the butler.

"What for?" Mathias replied, curious.

"I need to ask him about something important—something dear to my heart."

Mathias started to sweat. He whispered into Sylfie's ear, concerned. "C-could he be Sir Maxwell's long lost son? My father told me that he used to be, well, somewhat of a savant in his youth. I can only imagine that being the important question your husband wishes to ask him."

Sylfie shook her head. "Again, he's not my husband, and you're overestimating the quality of his intentions. Knowing him, it's something ridiculous or stupid—probably both."

"I don't understand, Agrius said he was your lover, and that he and that man were bitter rivals," Mathias said.

"I'd like him to keep thinking that—if that's alright with you—but married? That's too far."

"Why's that?"

Sylfie didn't answer.

Mathias forced a cough.

"He's a friend and a party member, that's all you need to know," she replied.

"Fair enough," Mathias acquiesced.

***

Ryu stretched his arms, bending low to loosen his legs as well. He felt good. The altitude of the capital had made him light-headed when they first arrived, but now that he had acclimated, he felt a surge of energy. Anything was better than being stuck in the Guild Association's Meeting Chamber with more bureaucrats.