Cup 25: A Quick Exchange

Ryu took in the vistas of Kopi City as he, Sylfie, Aurora, and Wisteria made their way to the Guild Association Headquarters to meet with Hazel's bean supplier. Mathias had declined their offer to join, having other obligations in the city with his father.

Agrius had left early that morning, citing a dispute between two kingdoms southeast of the capital as the reason. Ryu felt guilty as he watched him leave. The hero seemed downcast, and the rest of them hadn't treated him particularly kindly while he was here. As insufferable as he was, Ryu knew what it was like to be left out of things. I'll make it up to him the next time I see him. he resolved.

Ryu was enamored by the city's atmosphere, finally getting a chance to see it without the bulky frames of knights in the way. It reminded him of Venice—not that he'd ever been—the beauty reflected in the Renaissance-era architecture and the canals and waterways that cut through the city.

Wisteria had told him that the capital was often called the Floating City on account of its location above the clouds and how the channels traveled upwards, creating the lagoon that the city was built on. Ryu chalked up the phenomenon to the strange magic surrounding the area. After all, how else would someone explain a whale surfing a waterfall into the sky?

Citizens strolled along bridges or ducked under them as they paddled small boats to move about. The jingles of bells chimed as people went in and out of shops, restaurants, bakeries, wineries—Ryu couldn't keep track of all the things he wanted to explore right away.

He empathized with Aurora, who tried to bolt the moment they exited the manor. He held her by the tail as she squirmed about, attempting to fly away. Ryu was just itching to run off as well and experience all that the city had to offer, hoping that the meeting with the supplier would be short and uneventful.

"Remind me again why you're going to purchase Volthalla beans instead of just collecting them?" Wisteria asked.

"The area where the Volthalla plant grows is [Level 50]," Sylfie said.

"You and I could go get it then," Wisteria suggested.

"There are a couple of reasons why that's not possible," Sylfie replied. "The area is well above Ryu's level threshold. And even if we did go to the area without him, we'd need a lot more than two level forty-something adventurers."

"Level threshold—I've heard it a few times already but I only have a vague idea of what it means," Ryu remarked.

"The level threshold is simply fifteen levels above or below your current level," Sylfie stated, matter-of-factly. "Fifteen levels below and up to your current level will appear green. Fifteen levels above your current level will appear yellow. Anything above that will appear red; you won't be able to deal damage with your skills alone," she explained.

"Wasn't Kodama Forest [Level 60]? How were you able to manage that, but you can't manage a [Level 50] area on your own?" he asked.

"That was a special case. The Hibiscus Stag is a one-of-a-kind Legendary monster. It kept away most high-level creatures in that area, so I only had a few to clear out. I guarantee you, the next time we visit, the forest will be teeming with monsters," Sylfie said.

"Will it ever—you know—come back?" Ryu hoped they hadn't ended the lineage of an endangered species.

"Some creatures come back, some don't, based on their attributes. The Hibiscus Stag is a spiritual creature, so don't worry, it'll be back after a while," she reassured him.

Ryu breathed a sigh of relief.

"Hey, we're here," Wisteria said, pointing to the Guild Association Headquarters.

***

They met the vendor in a small assembly room. It was quiet and cool. The windows were shuttered, allowing only stray beams of sunlight to enter. Madame Ursula wasn't much for conversation, thankfully. Wrapped in a thick shawl, she masked her features, leaving only her piercing violet eyes exposed.

Ryu handed over the payment Hazel had given him, observing the supplier. Madame Ursula inspected the bag, weighing it in her hand even after her eyes had flashed, indicating she had used [Insight]. Once she was thoroughly satisfied, she snapped her fingers. Two men draped in similar shawls appeared out of thin air, wheeling in a few bags worth of Volthalla beans.

Madame Ursula encouraged them to examine the goods to make sure everything was in order. Ryu invoked [Insight], confirming the amount Hazel had specified. He tried lifting each bag to 'assess' the goods, not wanting to seem inexperienced in front of the Madame. Her eyes crinkled, amused by his actions. She pinched his cheek.

"You remind me of my son," she said in a heavy accent.

Ryu blushed, strangely warmed by the gesture.

Madame Ursula procured a small tube filled with green herbs. She pointed at Aurora, giving Ryu the tube.

"For your kitten," she explained.

Ryu thanked her for the gift.

"Come visit Arabica, anytime," she said. "We will welcome you with open arms."

Madame Ursula and her men gave Ryu and his company a short bow and took their leave, disappearing into thin air.

"You handled yourself pretty well," Sylfie commended, patting him on the shoulder.

Hazel had suggested Ryu take the lead on negotiations this time as Sylfie had been familiarized with the process already.

"It'll be good practice for when you start to network with other vendors," Hazel had explained to him back at the café.

"What did she give you?" Wisteria asked, pointing to the tube in Ryu's hand.

Ryu eyed Aurora as she paddled through the air trying to get at it. "I think Aurora already knows what it is," he grinned.

"C'mon, Ryu. I've been a good cat. I only tried to run off once today!"

"You were restrained after the one attempted escape. Besides, it's not like we want to do it. You'll get lost if you don't stick with us."

"Okay, I'll behave, just give me a taste, nya!"

Ryu uncapped the tube letting Aurora stick her tongue inside. He closed the cap, bemused by the cat's zoned-out expression. Her mind was in space now.

"Catnip," Ryu stated, letting go of Aurora's tail. "Sniffing it will make her hyperactive, but eating it has more soothing effects."

"A drug for cats? How does that even work?" Sylfie laughed.

Ryu scratched his nose. "Er, I won't get into the specifics of what this plant actually does."

Sylfie raised an eyebrow, even more curious now.

"Trust me, it's better that you don't know."

Aurora started floating lazily about the air. "I'm bird," she managed, spinning slowly.

"That should keep her mellowed out for a few minutes until we get to the shopping district," Ryu said, rubbing his hands together eagerly. "Finally, let's go explore the city!"