Cup 12: Legend of the Nutcracker

"Bahahaha! This story's even better the fifth time!" Jörm guffawed, slapping Ryu on the back. The adventurer's beard shook as he laughed with his stomach. He was built like a Viking, and he drank like one too. "Waitress! Keep the rounds coming!"

Ryu chuckled, a blissful grin on his face. His cheeks were ruddy and he swayed in his seat. The adventurers' arrival had set into motion an unexpected change of plans. He had been coaxed into joining them for a drink. Well coaxed wasn't really the right descriptor—more like he had been forcibly carried down to the main floor by the mob of ruffians.

A stream of bottomless ale followed, resulting in Ryu's current state. Sylfie sat next to him a collection of shot glasses in front of her. A congregation had formed across the table, carrying out the next slumped adventurer in a long line of challengers.

It was a peculiar feeling, being surrounded by strangers, yet feeling so comfortable with them at the same time. When was the last time Ryu had enjoyed himself like this? The atmosphere in the café was warm and welcoming. Jörm and his band of merry men pulled out instruments from their packs, belting out tunes aplenty.

Sylfie continued to down drink after drink, the Cacao Nibs piling high beside her as she maintained her winning streak. She's a monster! Ryu shuddered.

Some of the patrons set off modified combustion spells, lighting the room with small fireworks, until they were scolded by Hazel. Aurora's eyes grew large, mesmerized by the lights. She leapt into the air trying to catch the sparks, only to find herself stationary above the table.

"Wha! Ryu! I'm flying! Look, nya!"

Ryu laughed, nothing Aurora did surprised him anymore. Or perhaps it was the ale, making anything he saw more believable. "Looking good up there!" he cheered. "Let us know when you feel like coming down!"

Aurora started to float upward. She paddled her little legs to no avail approaching the ceiling. "R-Ryu? I think I might need a little help, nya!"

Ryu's smile faded. Uh oh. He quickly turned to his newly made acquaintance. "Jörm! Can you send me up there?" he asked, pointing to Aurora.

"Oh? The little one seems to have floated away!"

"I can see that! Can you launch me up there?"

"Do you even need to ask?" Jörm said slyly dropping his shield heavily onto the table. His mug tipped over, spilling everywhere. "Oh, sh*t, I didn't mean to do that."

Ryu shook his head trying to snap back to sobriety. He climbed on top of Jörm's shield, wobbling slightly as the Warrior Class Adventurer lifted him above his head. Okay, let's take this nice and easy. Ryu coached himself.

"Ready?" Jörm asked.

"Read—"

"[Shield Break]!" The shield pulsed, creating a shockwave that sent Ryu rocketing towards Aurora.

He screamed as he caught her. Ryu had figured his weight would gently pull them back down to the floor, but in his drunken state, he didn't think to consider what would happen if Aurora's flight negated gravity completely. He kicked his feet in the air, clutching onto her for dear life as the crowd watched from below.

"Gah! Ryu! You're squeezing me, nya!"

"The alternative is that I turn into paste!"

Jörm slapped his knee, and keeled over to one side, while others shuffled underneath Ryu and Aurora apprehensively, trying to catch them if they fell.

"Move outta the way! They're my party, I'll *hic* get them down," Sylfie announced, slurring her words as she pushed past the crowd. She swayed precariously to one side, leaning against a table for support. The Dark Elf pulled out her bow aiming an arrow at the two.