Cup 14: Slime Forest

"Who's Demonia?" Ryu asked.

"She's a witch that made a pact with a demon, at least that's what everyone in town says," Sylfie replied.

The carriage they were sitting in rattled as they traveled down the stone road outside the kingdom. The Slime Forest was a few minutes' ride to the Wildlands, longer on foot. Aurora's teleportation magic was still uncharted territory, so they donned their [Adventurer's Attire] and decided to pay a traveling merchant to shuttle them there instead.

"Why'd she make a pact with a demon, nya? That doesn't sound very fun," Aurora remarked.

Sylfie shrugged. "Beats me. It could be for power, or to fulfill some sort of goal she's after. Either way, you have to have some screws loose if you choose the Wildlands as your home."

Ryu knew of several people in town with a few loose screws.

"H-hey! Why are you staring at me?! I'm not crazy!" Sylfie protested.

"You nearly turned us into charcoal," he stated.

"I apologize for that," she mumbled, her ears reddening.

Aurora crossed her arms. "I'll consider forgiving you, nya."

"I'll buy you some fried fish from the market when we get back."

"Apology accepted!" Aurora exclaimed, hovering happily in the air for a second.

The carriage continued along, passing open fields as far as the eye could see. The sea of green mesmerized Ryu. He had never seen so much grass in one place. Obviously, images of plains and other biomes surfaced here and there in books or on the internet, but in person, the most he'd seen was that of public parks, the grass dry and trampled underneath the feet of a million parkgoers.

His mind started to wander towards the café. Watching the view while sipping a cup of coffee would make for an amazing experience. "I've been meaning to ask, how is it that Miss Hazel is able to run a café out here when coffee is supposed to be hard to come by?"

"The adventurers," Sylfie replied, leaning back and crossing her legs. "They bring back all the supplies she needs, and she takes care of their needs at the café. It's sort of a similar situation to yours. Grandmother and Grandfather used to be adventurers too before they decided to settle down and live a quiet life. They left behind their homeland and started anew here."

"Speaking of coffee, Ryu! Now's the time for my present! You're going to really enjoy it!" Aurora said, excitedly.

Ryu sighed. "Okay, I'll bite, what is it?"

"First, you have to give me a coffee berry, nya."

"And what are you going to do with the berry?" Sylfie questioned.

"Eat it!"

"No!" they both said in unison.

"Caffeine is toxic to cats," Ryu scolded. "You should know better!"

"But—"

"No buts! End of discussion!" Sylfie exclaimed.

Aurora grumbled indignantly. "Never let me explain anything, nya. See if I try to give you a gift again."

The carriage stopped in front of a gathering of trees. "We're here," the gruff voice of the merchant notified them.

They hopped off the carriage and entered the Slime Forest, the rickety clatter of wheels getting quieter as the merchant carried on.

Sylfie didn't bother pulling out her bow, walking beside Ryu at an ambling pace. Aurora floated behind them, still muttering something under her breath about ungrateful friends.