Trial

The gyms locked. Figures. I thought it might be- checked just in case. I at least knew where I'd be going next thanks to the tour I had yesterday. The shaded area between the school buildings near the courtyard. It had a large enough space to move around in and was out of sight from other students entering school or going about their club practices- in other words perfect for private practice.

Approaching the corner of the school building which concealed my new practice spot, I hear the thump of a volleyball against the wall and ragged breaths of another person. Peeking from the side of the wall, I recognised a familiar face. Low and behold- Kageyama had the same idea as me. I didn't know if it was good he was there to practice with or if he could potentially disrupt my practice but my manners said I should at least acknowledge him. I was working towards being on friendly terms with Kageyama. Although I doubt he will ever consider me a friend.

Sweat dropped from his chin and stuck to his sports shirt as he continuously set the ball into the air. It was landing perfectly on the tips of his fingers making the ball seem weightless and Kageyama rather skilful. I lost track of time as I studied his posture and movements which changed fluidly between setting the ball and serving it against the wall. It was effortless, well practiced and... kind of intimidating. My eyes only left the form Kageyama took when he caught the ball and shifted his body into a more relaxed position. I was then caught staring with a slack mouth by Kageyama Tobio.

"Well that's awkward" I mumble quietly under my breath while I move away from the wall and towards Kageyama.

"You're here early" I begin, trying to sweep my 'creep starring from behind a corner' incident under the rug.

"So are you" he replies.

"I thought'd I'd practice for the first years match. You have the same idea?" I move past Kageyama to place my bag behind him and out of the way.

"I guess."

He isn't giving me much to continue our conversation so I let silence take over while I face away from him. I put my ball on top of my bag and look slightly over my shoulder to see Kageyama peeking at me from the corner of his eye. I turn back to my bag and unzip it to get out my water bottle.

"Want some?" I offer the water turning on the balls of my feet while still bent down.

Looking up at Kageyama who stood slightly in front of me, he looked a little shocked that I even offered. Taking that reaction as neither a yes or no, I stand up and press the bottle to his chest while taking the volleyball from his hands.

"You're sweating, you'll dehydrate eventually if you keep going without a drink"

"I know that" he almost snapped back.

"Good, then drink" I instructed while pressing his volleyball between my hands to test how pumped it is. Without saying much else I serve the ball against the concrete wall and begin making smooth receives. I can hear the pop of my water bottle cap from behind me and smile in the fact he was listening to me, today was off to a good start.

I was starting to feel like practicing with the two of us would be a good idea.

"Hey, why don't we practice together?"

"No" he responds monotonously.

Geh, what a quick response.

I stop my receiving and look at Kageyama slightly annoyed.

"Why not" I throw his ball towards him half because I wanted to hit him for rejecting me so readily.

"I want to practice alone."