Chapter 3 - Part 1

The caravan proceeded slowly under a clear blue sky. The Plains of Regret stretched beyond the western border of the province of Lud, and the only viable route was the Valley of Oath: a breach that split the rock formation and overlooked the territories of Clodia.

In the last downhill stretch before leaving the valley, the road became so steep that the caravan had to proceed at a walking pace. Fez convinced Marmorel to take a long walk to admire the landscape of forests and streams; the girl took short breaks to fill her sketchbook, and the young man pointed out the next subject for her to draw.

Just before evening, they had to stop because one of the wagon axles broke at a too-deep hole, and the knights decided to camp in a clearing not far from the path. Some merchants arranged their vehicles for the night and others took care of organizing the fire for the meal. Aran stayed near his belongings the whole time and when he was called by Cora to join the improvised feast, he brought the sack full of gold with him.

The knights were positioned at the corners of the caravan with smoky torches in their hands and weapons ready to be drawn.

"You took a bad fall," Marmorel said, by the fire, addressing Cora. "How are feeling?"

He didn't know how to answer. Aran and Fez looked at him, visibly curious.

"Nothing broken," he said, scratching his leg. "I don't understand, though, how I managed to slide between the roots." He spoke truthfully: it was the first time he had thought about it since they had left, the frenzy of the journey had eclipded everything else.

"Well, there was a small earthquake. The earth opened up under your feet," Aran said, looking at the other members of the caravan.

Fez swallowed a small piece of charred meat. "Those roots would destroy the foundations of a castle for how big they are, I think it's normal."

Elidana sighed and drummed on the box she was sitting on.

Marmorel furrowed her brow. "Hmm, let's hear it, what's your idea?" she asked.

"This trip started off badly," she sighed. "I'm not going to remind you of all the lies you made me tell to get you out of here peacefully."

Aran and Cora shook their heads. "Again with that, enough already: it's done! By the time we get back, be sure that we'll fix everything," the latter said. "Think about it, you'll be going to Clodia and Edel. When will you get another chance?" added Aran with a smirk. He looked at the other travelers, each in their own corner around the fire. And he held his arm tighter around his sack when one of them was observing them.

"Okay, but you owe me a favor each," Elidana concluded, pointing at the four friends with her finger.

"I could paint your portrait, maybe with Cora, maybe when we get to Edel," Marmorel said.

Cora swallowed. "What do I have to do with it?" he asked.

But Elidana pushed her hair back over her shoulder and said, "Why not?"

Cora went back and forth between the two of them, while Fez chuckled.

"Hey, lower your voice," Aran cut in, indicating the other members of the caravan not far away.

A merchant with extremely long, rolled-up mustaches approached them carrying a full pitcher. His shirt was well-kept and his collar hid a string of pimples that extended over his ears. He approached Fez. "Are you thirsty?" he asked politely. The boy nodded and held out his glass.

Aran furrowed his brow and looked back at Cora, making an unnoticeable no with his head.

"What are five teenagers doing traveling to Clodia?" the man added. "Five very young teenegers so far from home." As he poured the water, he bent over so much that his back seemed to break.