Chapter 5 - Part 3

"Next," said the officer in uniform. It was Cora's turn. The man typed some keys on the terminal and a printed form emerged from a slot in front. Elidana furrowed her brow. "Fill it out well and send it to the Academy chancellery," explained the military man, and returned to the line. "Next one."

Cora gave a quick look at the sheet and returned it to the smooth surface of the counter. "I don't want to enlist," he said.

The soldier looked up and scanned Cora's figure. "You're not from around here."

Cora shook his head. "I need to trace back one of your soldiers."

The military man tightened his lips and spread his arms. He stared at Cora and looked back to his colleague next to him. "Is Sergeant Ferris in?"

"Yes, but I'll take care of it, get them out of line," the other replied.

The military man gestured for him to move aside to let the queue behind them advance.

They had already been waiting for over an hour when Elidana caught Cora's attention and pointed to a wall. "Look."

Embedded in the wall, a marble slab bore some carved names.

Orghein of the strong swords

Kaaras of the first sands

Tondor wood of the coast

Azul lord of steppes and hills

Roha of the mountain wolves

Biron filled with snow

Vuluran the navigator

Boros of the great flame

Nitwi of the short rivers

Forgas the small

Ebedin of the free clouds

Aion the indecisive

To them our gratitude, to them our unity.

"They are the leaders of the founding tribes of the Kharzanian nation," said a small soldier. "Sorry for the wait, but in the days leading up to the Grand Prix, we always have an increase in volunteers," the man in uniform said. With one movement of his hand, he adjusted his hair. "Are you two who need information?"

Cora nodded silently.

"I am Sergeant Ferris, follow me." He turned towards the door of an office.

As he followed that man, a vague hope took hold in Cora's chest. Perhaps he would finally know the truth. They entered a small room with only one desk in the center and a few chairs. The white light that came down from the ceiling was blinding and reflected on the shiny surfaces.

"Please, take a seat," the man said with a slight smile. Sergeant Ferris crossed his hands and looked at them. "Our policy is not to disclose information regarding the men who serve." His voice was calm.

Cora took the metal plate and placed it on the table. "But this man could be my father!"

Elidana reached out and put her hand on Cora's arm, her gentle touch calmed him.

"I understand," the soldier replied. He observed the tag and drummed his fingers on the table. Some purple luminescent lines appeared that formed a keyboard and a small screen. He entered the serial number and name. A row of files appeared that Cora struggled to read backwards.

The soldier raised his gaze again and made an apologetic face. "Mmm."

"Can you make an exception?" Elidana asked. But Sergeant Ferris seemed conflicted, continuing to look at the photo of the tag owner and Cora in quick succession.