Chapter 11 - Part 2

Lieutenant Roha alternated his gaze between the two until Melca spoke. "There is a possibility that the race was rigged. The Seorite you used was analyzed at the end of the race. We were surprised that it still had eighty percent of its energy remaining."

"What? But I..." Xanter whispered, holding onto the table.

"Relax. Everything is fine," Zakin pulled out an old Zalesian knife and began to twirl it between his fingers. "They checked the footage, and there's nothing suspicious. I watched it over and over again by myself, everything is in order."

"No! Nothing is in order. Someone gave him the charged Seorite on the twenty-fourth lap, when he stopped," growled Laur.

Xanter widened his eyes. "Director, I can assure you that-"

"No one came into direct contact with the Lieutenant in that stretch! And Ermet, what are the chances that they provided him with an identical stone in shape, color, and size?" Zakin said. "Stop with this attitude!"

Ermet Laur adjusted his tie. "Yes, well, it's unlikely, but not impossible."

The doors opened, and Prime Minister Carl Gizen entered.

"Gentlemen, good afternoon," he said in a full and burlyvoice. The bald head reflected the light from the ceiling lamps.

They all stood up, but Gizen gestured for them to return to their seats. "We're only missing Greed and General Leidara to be complete," he said, amused. He took a seat on the vacant side of the triangular table, unwrapped a candy and popped it into his mouth. He pointed at Xanter with his index finger. "Xanter Roha, we had high expectations for the Grand Prix and I must say, you were exemplary." With a satisfied expression, he looked at the generals. "So, what should we discuss? I'm in a bit of a hurry... we're starting the construction of another Garden of the Senses tonight, and there'll be a ceremony," he added, speaking faster than before. "There's always a ceremony, and I can't seem to lose weight."

Director Ermet Laur jumped to his feet and yelled, "Prime Minister, the situation is very serious! The army is underestimating the problem, but I'm sure someone has betrayed the spirit of the competition," he said in one breath. "They helped Lieutenant Xanter Roha in some way: the Seorite of the vaasp was replaced during the race."

Zakin and Melca looked at each other. "Nonsense!" the former shouted. "You're criticizing a brave soldier when we have much more serious things to deal with."

"Right... speaking of which, Janus, how did things end up with that Lamia country?" Gizen asked.

"We're still looking for the Seorite and the Hozman, but we haven't found any links to the empire. We believe they're just independent groups," Janus replied.

Prime Minister Gizen massaged the back of his hands. "So no involvement from Aletar or Meliro?"

"No, Carl. We can say that with certainty. But we should still be careful about how the Emperor and his High Powers are moving," Zakin said, taking a cigar out of his uniform case and putting it in his mouth without lighting it.

"Could it be the work of 'Lake'? Maybe he's moved too far east from the last sightings?" Gizen suggested.

"No, Carl. We can rule out the Zalesian rebels," Zakin replied.

Gizen nodded. "How do you plan to proceed? If we could get that Seorite, I could keep the public opinion calm for a while. The Lafkai mines are no longer producing the same daily quantities, and I'm sure the Sultan of Zaal will start playing with the prices soon," he concluded seriously.

Janus Zakin stood up and went to the window, the lights of Edel shining like the night sky before sunset.

"My men have already contacted the Senate of the Republic of Lamia, and we're preparing to help them search for any survivors, but unfortunately, they haven't found any at the moment," the general said, his rough hand on the glass. "It was a real disaster."