Chapter 13 - Part 1

Hyon's cooking style reminded Cora of Mrs. Flint. The master cut and cleaned the fish with the respect due to a worthy opponent,dipped into a tray sprinkled with salt, and paused to inspect his work. "They should be good." With his movements and despite the humility of the task, Hyon seemed majestic and elegant at the same time; and when he looked at the young guests, his penetrating gaze made an impression on Cora.

"Please, sit down. I'm sorry, but I'm not used to unexpected visits." He wiped his hands on a rag, pointed at Camiel and said, "So, instead of standing there like a bunch of breadcrumbs, you can be the host."

Cora moved aside to let Camiel pass and bumped into Fez, who stepped on a bulb abandoned in the dust.

Camiel darted outside and returned with two wicker armchairs. "Master, if it's not too much trouble, we need clean clothes and a hot bath. We've been traveling for a long time and we stink like stray dogs."

Marmorel sniffed her shirt and winced. "I agree." The shoes she had worn since leaving Edel now had a hole in the sole and the tips were torn. Her pale legs were covered in a large number of small scars.

Hyon waved his hand in the air. "Of course, of course... in the afternoon. First, let's have a proper lunch or it will get cold. I spent a whole morning on these fish." He turned back to his apprentice and frowned. "So, tell me, Camiel: what kind of trouble have you brought into my home?" he asked. "Because these five boys don't look like tourists you randomly met at the port." Hyon snapped his fingers, and a blue burst of energy, the same consistency as water, shot from his staff and crashed into the corner fireplace. The resulting clang made the plates stacked in the cupboard rattle.

Elidana and Marmorel jumped, but Hyon smiled and said, "Don't worry, girls. Nothing to be afraid of." He looked back at Camiel. "I don't understand why you always involve me in these situations." He blew on the fire just lit and arranged the grill. He straightened up with difficulty, dragged his feet to the pantry, and took a fan from there. "I'm old and tired. Kallup is already keeping me busy, and then the Duke keeps inviting me to the palace as if I were one of his advisors," he grumbled. "I just want to enjoy what my age deserves: rest, fishing, and good wine!"

"I'm sorry, but I had no other choice," Camiel whispered, his gaze fixed on the floor.

Hyon sighed. "By the way, how are Iannes and Alara?" He placed the fish on the fire. The smoke filled the room and Aran opened the entrance door and stood under the cracked lintel to breathe.

"Fine, or at least I think so; they have nothing to worry about in Gastel, and Alara has probably already given birth to the baby," the warrior replied.

"Oh, good news every now and then," Hyon said as he checked to make sure the fish was roasting well. Without looking up, he gestured to Cora and Fez. "You two, set the table, please. It's almost ready."

The boys exchanged an inquisitive glance.

Marmorel shuttled between Camiel and the old man, squinting. "How can he be your master? He doesn't look like a Hozman!" she exclaimed.

"Not even a toenail, young lady. I come from Laeth, born and raised among the sons of Dormin," he said proudly.

"What are you doing here?" Aran asked. "My father always says that the inhabitants of Dremis never leave those lands."

"You, blondie, are quite a guy. Your father is right, but until you reach my age, it's better if you don't address me as if I were one of your friends," he replied dryly.

Aran blushed, and Camiel chuckled softly.

Hyon looked at Cora and Fez. "I asked you to set the table, didn't I?" he said. His bushy eyebrows furrowed in a stern expression.