Chapter 16 - Part 2

"Stop!" Camiel's hand held her shoulder. She turned around abruptly. Hyon limped to them.

"He fell in the sea... he's drowning... I can't..." the girl sobbed.

"Can you not get into trouble for five minutes? I'm not asking for much," grumbled the master. "Just enough time to have a drink of wine or eat a bite." The stone on the staff illuminated, and a deep sound rang out that left Marmorel stunned. Hyon stepped on a crate, and a rope of light shot out from the Seorite. The movements were like those of a fisherman casting a line into the sea. The energy coiled around the boy's hand, the only part of his body still above water.

The master jerked the staff, and Fez was lifted out of the water and suspended in mid-air, at the mercy of the wind. "What a nice tuna!" he chuckled.

Fez fell onto the ship's deck and writhed in pain, his face contorted. Marmorel and Camiel rushed to his aid. Fez spat and coughed until he regained his composure. The warrior from Meliro approached them but then turned around and leaped into the air, slicing through another cannonball.

Marmorel reached out and touched Fez's chest, brushing him lightly and shaking him slightly. "How are you?" she asked. He didn't say anything. She clenched her jaw and shook him harder. "Answer me!" she shouted.

"I-I'm alive," he said, "I'm alive..." He clung to her.

Hyon looked at Camiel. "Cora has regenerated all the stones outside. This time we got lucky." He frowned and pointed his staff at the ship carrying Captain Vega. Even though the Hozman archer had turned the prow into a sieve, the pale officer was still there.

"He's not giving up, is he?" Hyon exclaimed, his expression fierce.

The Kharzanian soldiers on the tail ship dragged a large wheeled grappling hook and positioned it over the bow. Three battle armors emerged from below deck.

"They want to board," Camiel yelled.

Hyon raised his chin and scratched his head with the staff. "They can even decide to dance in those tin cans, but they certainly won't board this ship."

The large metal harpoon pierced the waves that separated the boats. A new deep sound was heard, the sound of a large brass structure struck by a mace. The vibration momentarily halted the rain around them.

The Kharzanian weapon impacted against a wall of energy protecting the stern. The noise was so loud that even the Hozman warriors regained consciousness. The metal bent in half, shattered into a thousand pieces, and the fragments fell into the sea. For the first time, the smile disappeared from Vega's face.

"Well... it seems like the right moment," Hyon grinned. He straightened his dress, but by now he was soaked from head to toe as well. Under the gaze of Marmorel and Fez, he went behind the main mast and looked up at the sail, rubbing his chin. He took three Seorite stones from his pocket and bounced them on his hand. He took a few steps back. "Let's hope it doesn't tear," he said. The staff emitted a large blue cloud. The sail swelled even more than it already was, a colorful wind that forced the structure to its limit. The strange blue vapor also emanated from the three stones, and Hyon's necklace of ropes filled with colored buds.

The Hozman ship picked up speed to the point that the bow lifted. Marmorel grabbed onto Camiel just in time, but others less fortunate ended up upside down.

"Gentlemen, it's been a pleasure entertaining you," Hyon shouted. He made a slight bow in the direction of the enemies, as they looked on with gaping mouths and guns still in their hands.

Marmorel squinted against the opposing wind and stayed with Fez clinging to Camiel. The quickest way to avoid going overboard.

The Kharzanian cannons fired and fired again, but Meliro's ship was now faster than theirs, and the shots fell behind a restless sea.