Chapter 15 - Part 3

Hours passed, and while waiting, Camiel received an unwanted check-up from the royal curator. The Hozman resisted slightly but ultimately accepted resignedly. Aran held his breath several times during the examination, but it seemed as though the ordeal had not harmed him.

When everything was ready for departure, Kallup approached them. "My friend, when will we meet again?" he asked.

"Unfortunately, I think my long journey has come to an end. But if you ever come by Farendal, you'll be the most welcome guest. Thank you for all you've done for us," Camiel replied, extending his hand.

Kallup smiled, and when he left, a line of men from the duchy followed him past the Goliath guarding the entrance.

The Hozman split up: two of them accompanied Camiel and his companions, while Iak and the others walked away towards the main road of Amanastre, heading towards the walls.

"Wanderer... warrior... and all the rest!" roared Aran. "I don't even know what to call you." He lowered his head, kicked a rock. Camiel had lied, although he had his reasons. No, in fact, he hadn't lied; now it was clear why he had been so reluctant to tell his story.

"You could have told us you were a big shot!" exclaimed Elidana.

Camiel sighed.

"The Kharzanians have taken our parents as prisoners!" Fez said. "You and the other Hozmans can help us find out where they are."

"No," Camiel thundered. "It's too dangerous for you."

Aran stood in front of Fez, his gaze serious. "He had my family's ring. My father would have died before letting them take it off his finger."

Fez shook his head several times. "They're alive! They have to be, Aran!"

"We have other problems at the moment. It's brutal to say it like this, I know. But it's the harsh truth," Camiel said.

"My parents! That damn man knows where they are!" Fez exploded.

"It could be a trap," the Hozman continued.

Marmorel hugged Elidana tightly.

"Let's calm down, we will find a solution. Camiel is right," said Aran.

"The situation is very complicated. We will go to Laeth, it has already been decided," Camiel continued.

"Hey, why all the mystery?" growled Fez.

"Why don't we go to Farendal as soon as possible? Are you playing with us?" Marmorel asked.

"No, guys," the Hozman replied, stopping in the middle of the street. "I have no intention of discussing it now. Just trust me."

"So what should we believe? The stories about our salvation? No, my dear! We're losing our minds behind your assumptions!" Elidana thundered, her face red.

Camiel shifted his weight from one foot to the other. "Let's go back to Hyon. He will give you his reasons," he concluded, watching the Meliro warriors.

A flock of birds took flight, then another. The flutter of wings and the cawing left behind a heavy air, an unnatural silence.

A roar shook the windows of the houses in the neighborhood. A beam creaked, wobbled, and fell to the ground with a crash. A step away from Fez and Elidana.

The earth trembled.

It shook so hard that the street ripped open beneath their feet. A cylinder of energy rose above the rooftops, piercing the clouds that had covered the city.

"That was Hyon's house! Cora!" Elidana shouted. They sprinted towards the light like maniacs.

When they arrived at the master's house, the top of the dwelling had been ripped off, and the walls were marked with large cracks. Camiel rushed past the fence, with Aran and Fez following behind.